ipod battery life.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by z2046, Jun 5, 2003.

1. z2046 macrumors newbie

hi all. i've used my new ipod for couple weeks now. one issue i do have is the battery life is kinda short.

i would charge it fully but only last me maybe 2 to 3 days tops..... do i need to charge it fully everytime or can i charge it for 2 or 3 hrs every once in awhile??

no way it can keep playing for 10 hrs striaght...

thanks.

2. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: ipod battery life.

i don't understand what you are saying. i leave mine plugged in all the time, pretty much, rarely taking it out. but what do you mean by 2-3 days? if you leave it unplugged for 2-3 days that has to cut battery (the thing keeps a clock running even when off for one thing). also, not playing contiguous music (flipping around) should cut your battery life.

personally, i have seen mine often get like 8 hours at a spin. that's more than enough for me. i'm used to those darn CD players that don't get near that.

3. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

Re: ipod battery life.

as with most batteries, its never a good idea to charge it when its not flat, or to stop charging it when its not full. That'll result in poor battery life and inaccurate battery levels on the display

4. illumin8 macrumors 6502

Re: Re: ipod battery life.

This is not true with the new Lithium Ion batteries that are used in the new iPods. Rechargeable batteries have gotten a bad rap because the first type available were the Nickel Cadmium batteries that had a "memory". If you discharged the battery halfway, then recharged it, it would remember the halfway point and think it was dead when it was still halfway charged.

This issue was fixed by using Nickel Metal-Hydride, and then Lithium Ion in batteries. These newer materials do not have the same memory problems, and can be charged or topped off at any time without damaging the battery.

One thing to keep in mind though is that any battery is only going to get about 1000 charge/discharge cycles before it starts to wear out. If you recharge your iPod every day (like I do), it should last you at least a few years.