Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

totally_fly

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2002
Why does the life get shorter, and shorter and shorter! I don't get it! How can I get 10 hours out of it again! I barely get 3!

(gen 1 iPod - 5 gig)

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
do you use the software version 1.3? I have a 5 gig ipod as well, and I was experiencing horrible battery life issues until I upgraded to 1.3. Now my battery life, both playing and standby, is probably better than new (11+ hours play time).

macphoria

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2002
I had same problem with iPod. Fortunately I had replacement plan, so I didn't have to pay for a new iPod.

Mine was the last generation iPod. Do you have newer iPod? One with 4 buttons above the scroll wheel?

totally_fly

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2002
I have the old one with the rotating scroller wheel. (1st generation)

I am up to date with the updates (version 1.3).

I don't know if I have a replacement plan like macphoria mentioned.

What to do.

beefcake

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2003
Baltimore
I have a 3rd gen iPod (4 button scroll wheel) and the battery time is great. I've never run it below 50% and I've had it on for 4-5 hours with moderate fidgeting with buttons. Last night I fell asleep with it on and woke up 4 hours later. iPod was off battery life was 4 full bars. ???

macphoria

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2002
I have the old one with the rotating scroller wheel. (1st generation)

I am up to date with the updates (version 1.3).

I don't know if I have a replacement plan like macphoria mentioned.

What to do.
If I remember correctly, older iPods came with 30 day or 90 day warranty. So if something is wrong with iPod after that, you are on your own.

So in your case, I really don't know what to say. What I might try is to go to a local Apple Store (if there is one) and talk to someone about it. But in the end, you'll probably have to spend some money.

Apparently, newer iPod has longer warranty. According to http://www.apple.com/ipod/specs.html, iPod now has 1 year warranty. This really annoys me, since I had to spend extra money for replacement policy because warranty on my iPod was so short.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.