Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
after an overnight charging, my ipod battery reads only 5/8 full. just before i removed it from the dock, it said it was charged.

anyone else see this?

i've not yet used it sufficiently to know if the battery is really only 5/8 full or if the error lies solely in the indicator.

it's a 15 gig 3G ipod. my mac is running 10.2.6.

also -- the update changed the indicator from a four-bar one to a single, solid one. this happened to everyone who applied the update, yes?

Mofus

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2003
San Diego
I also have this problem. The last two days my 20GB iPod says "Charged" in the morning, but as soon as I pull it off the dock it's only 5/8 full. Today I have not used it, just looked at it, and now it shows full charge. I think tonight I will charge it with the AC charger and see if that makes a difference. :confused:

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Originally posted by Mofus
Today I have not used it, just looked at it, and now it shows full charge.

mine is not full, but it may have increased to 3/4. but maybe that's where it was yesterday.

also remember now -- i tried charging it during the day yesterday. left it in the dock while i was at work. came back, unmounted it, pulled it out, and it hadn't charged at all.

I think tonight I will charge it with the AC charger and see if that makes a difference. :confused:

fyi - mine was also hooked up to my mac, not the AC.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
the battery indicator is now a continuous bar instead of quarters, that is definitely part of the change.

i noticed that the indicator is very slow in updating itself. i also charged mine a while back via FW port on my laptop - after overnight charging with the iPod showing "charged," i pulled the cable out. it wasn't until a few songs later that the battery indicator showed nearly full charge. it kind of trickled up to that point from 1/2 full over time...

i haven't tested the actual battery life yet, but i suspect it's just a faulty (or slow) battery indicator.

Apmonia

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2003
I have had the same problem with my iPod however, the problem does seem to correct itself after a few minutes. I even tried to charge it with the AC adapter to no avail; the same old problem. The longevity of the battery though is still about eight hours of playback though so that didn't change. It must be in the firmware update.
- apmonia

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Originally posted by jxyama
it wasn't until a few songs later that the battery indicator showed nearly full charge.

well, i'll be. i just played through most of a song (Veruca Salt, if we think it makes a difference :) and the battery indicator went to full.

nutty.

Mofus

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2003
San Diego
I am going to run down my battery completely and then charge it overnight and watch the indicator to see how it reacts. Recharging from zero should be quite noticeable if it takes a while for the indicator to respond.

mac3dX

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2003
same problem here

My battery only shows half full, although it's fully charged, then it shows empty after a little while.

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
It surprises me that Im the only user that has more problems with the update apart from the battery issue discused here.
I also have problems with contrast on the ipod screen. SOmetimes it just "flikkers"
some songs wont play anymore. It crashes. sometimes it just stops playing. still says don't disconnect when you have allready shut down your mac. goes beserk when scrolling fast through sons.

all thanks to 1 "update"

t^3

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2001
Originally posted by manitoubalck
Li-ion batteries have a 3-4 year life from date of manufacture not first charge like Ni-Mh.

If your I pod is in this range it could be time for a repacement
Well, the iPod has only been out for 2 years, so unless some people out there have prototype iPods, this probably isn't the problem.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Originally posted by iwantanewmac

I also have problems with contrast on the ipod screen. SOmetimes it just "flikkers"
some songs wont play anymore. It crashes. sometimes it just stops playing. still says don't disconnect when you have allready shut down your mac. goes beserk when scrolling fast through sons.

mine has none of those problems. have you tried resetting it?

z2046

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2003
i have the same problem too......

i have the same problem too.
ipod would show it's fully charged...
then as soon as i pull it out. it'll be half empty.. and it seem like battey runs out very fast.....

any solutions??

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
Originally posted by zimv20
mine has none of those problems. have you tried resetting it?

Well sometimes it shuts itself off or it won't play certain songs (don't know why) and then I HAVE to reset it.

Xnet

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2003
I'm hold right now waiting to speak to Apple Tech support.

I did a quick search to see if anyone else was having "my" problem.

I guess its not just me both the "rattle" and the battery that will never charge past 5/8ths and then drain quickly.

*ugh* I'm still on hold....

Mofus

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2003
San Diego
I drained the battery all the way down, recharged it overnight, and while it didn't show it was completely charged I still got 7 or 8 hours of use out of it. Maybe they'll fix this small glitch in the next update. I guess I can live it as long as I still get the same amount of use out of it.

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003
Tampa, FL (Orlando, 2003 - 2023)
This has been happening with both my and my mother's ipods. Hers was only purchased on the Night of Panther, so it's still new. Didn't happen for me until this latest software update. Mine I always charge from the adapter, and it still happens. The first night after the update, it was 5/8ths, even though the giant charged icon appeared. The second day, it was 6/8ths, then the third day, it was 7/8ths. Now, it looks full, but who knows... I tend to agree that it's just a software issue with the battery indicator. Hopefully, it will be fixed by the next update.

My mom's is even weirder, because it will look charged, but the battery indicator will be completely empty.

Alia

Quark

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2002
Originally posted by iwantanewmac
It surprises me that Im the only user that has more problems with the update apart from the battery issue discused here.

all thanks to 1 "update"

Mine has the same CONTRAST problem. Including the "flikkering" problem. It is really annoying.

There was a post on Apple (I think it was Apple) somewhere, I think it was in the tech support section where they mention this. One solution was to run the iPod Updater and select RESTORE. I ran this solution, but it didn't fix it. Perhaps I need to run the 2.0 updater??

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Quark

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
The crappy thing is my restore for the 2.01 firmware freezes, so there is no way to downgrade... Apple better do something soon...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.