iPod & Belkin Media Reader

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Dave00, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

I'm looking for advice on a new iPod. I'm leaving the country in about 10 days, and I want to get a device I can download pictures to. I'll be travelling with others who have various media cards, and I'd like to be able to store their photos too. I already have a 20GB 2nd-gen iPod that I'm delighted with, so a new iPod would have to have the ability to download photos for it to make sense as a purchase. I'd love to get the 15GB 3rd gen iPod, but I'm not sure it's compatible with the Belkin reader; I asked Belkin and they sent me a product matrix suggesting it'd be compatible with all 3G iPods, but elsewhere it says "any iPod with a dock", and the 15GB model I'm pretty sure doesn't have a dock, right?

I had been on reports of a new iPod, but it doesn't look like that'll pan out in time for my trip.

I can get a refurb iPod 30GB from the Apple Store for $349. While I'm always reluctant to purchase refurb products, this seems like a good deal. But I'd rather buy the $199 15GB model if it works with the belkin.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

--D.

2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

all 3G models will work with the card reader, if you purchase the 15GB you can buy the dock later too from apple
    personally i'd go for the refurbished 30GB for $349, for an extra 50 bucks you get double capacity the dock the remote the case ipods will get scratched up really easily anyways so even if the refurb initially has a few scratches it won't matter in the long run

3. Dave00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes but do you need the dock to connect to the Belkin? That's my question. Another intriguing offer is that of a new 10GB 3g iPod for $249 from the apple store. True, this is the same price as the mini, but as I'm satisfied with my 20GB 2nd gen iPod and there'll be a 4th gen coming out soon, it doesn't seem to make a whole lotta sense to lay out a whole buncha money for a larger 3rd gen iPod. I just want something that'll store my and others' photos.

Dave

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

AFAIK, you only need an iPod with a dock connector, not the dock itself. The dock connector is where the Belkin plugs in, it doesn't plug in through the dock itself.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The photos I've seen show the Belkin Media Reader using the Dock Connector but not the Dock, so any 3rd generation iPod will work.