iPod-Best place to buy in NYC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gotohamish, Aug 28, 2003.

1. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

Hi

I'll be in NYC next week and am buying an iPod (15GB) for a friend back here in the UK and want to know the best place to get one.

Apple UK handle the warranty as it's a portable, so I'm thinking that store warranties might not be that important (as it's unlikely he'll be able to just call in to the store!).

Where will the cheapest place be? I was thinking the Soho Apple Store might be the best bet.

Soho Store $399
    B&H Photo $389
    Anywhere better? Circuit City?

I appreciate all your help.

H

2. agentmouthwash macrumors regular

agentmouthwash

hi

J&R Music world which is actually right near the WTC site has a great Apple section. They could use the business too!

Enjoy your stay in the big Apple :)

3. montecristo macrumors member

All the prices will be pretty much the same (Apple keeps a pretty tight control on things, $5-$10 difference is really all you'll find). J&R is a good store, as is B&H Photo, but wherever you get it, it is worth a trip to the Soho Apple Store -- just for fun! If price is a serious concern, you can consider ordering it online at amazon.com (not the UK site), and have it delivered to your hotel -- no shipping, no tax. But, IMHO, you should help out the Big Apple and buy it from J&R! (Take the 2/3 Subway to Park Place, N/R to City Hall or take 1,2,3,9,A,C,4,5,J,M or Z to Fulton Stree/Broadway Nassau, and walk two blocks to Park Row. Anyone on the streets should know where J&R is.)

Enjoy the City that never sleeps! (even in a blackout!)

4. agentmouthwash macrumors regular

agentmouthwash

yes

I do believe it's one block north of Fulton and Broadway.

I would go to B&H. The people at B&H are mean. But an APPLE SOHO STORE visit is a must!

5. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

MacUser1

soho

i was in nyc about a week ago to visit NYU. my mom goes into the city frequently and she said that the apple store was an must visit. she was right. even if you don't purchase the ipod there, stop by at the apple soho store, it's pretty sweet.

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

If you are a College Student, I'd suggest the Apple Store, you get about $30 or so off the iPod. Otherwise J&R Would be My choice.

TEG

7. gotohamish thread starter macrumors 65816

gotohamish

Hey all

thanks for your help. I go to NYC every few weeks to see my girlfriend, but am buying the iPod for a friend. I past on all your great suggestions, and I believe he's gone the Amazon route.

Best regards
    Hamish

8. montecristo macrumors member

You should still visit the SoHo Apple Store, especially if you haven't already....

9. gotohamish thread starter macrumors 65816

gotohamish

Funny you should mention that... I have been to the store and love it, but as my girlfriend works in Soho, she went to the store one lunch break to do an iChat with me back here in the UK. We were doing the who video chat thing, and the instore sales person came over and asked her if she needed help or a demo.

When he saw she was actually doing a live chat from the store, he got everyone's attention and put the speakers on full and made the video full screen. There were dozens of people watching me!

Kinda scary, and didn't make for a particularly good conversation, but funny too!

H

10. void macrumors 6502

Buy it at Tekserve. They are an authorized retailer, and they need some business. They are on 23rd between 6th and 7th. Tekserve

11. ualla macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I found this discussion on google, and I am aware of how old it is, but I have the same question: where would be the best place to buy an iPod 30GB in New York? I have a friend that is coming over from London and I would like to ask him to buy me one.
    Furthermore, I heard that there is a "sales tax" in NY that is 8.25% that is to be added to the listed price, is this true?

I appreciate very very much any help you would be able to give me! :)

Thanks!

12. jmsait19 macrumors 6502

call me naive, but what is the advantage to buying in New York instead of London??

13. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

14. JoeKarame macrumors regular

JoeKarame

Even with the sales tax added on, it'll still be cheaper to buy in N.Y. than in the UK.

Wish it were not true, but it is.

15. MacSyn macrumors regular

They raised the sales tax to 8.375% in NYC. I know it sucks. As a New Yorker, I would suggest you to buy in NJ. NJ has much lower sales tax.

16. ualla macrumors newbie

I thank you all for your replies and suggestions.
    It's true, it costs less in the US than here in the UK, especially considering the exchange rate. In the Uk it costs £219 (about $384) in the Apple store. But with the sales tax it would still cost me about $60 less.
    What's your opinion in a tax free shop at the airport?

Thanks again!