iPod & Bluetooth: My idea

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by wwooden, Feb 22, 2005.

1. wwooden macrumors 68000

Jul 26, 2004
    Burlington, VT
    I just had this idea a few minutes ago and wanted to share it and get everyones opinion. I read that new rumor about them installing bluetooth in the iPod and i really like the idea. All you have to do is bring the iPod near the computer and it would sync. Now you don't have to plug it into the computer. But I thought, you still have to plug the iPod in at some point to charge it. So I thought "Why not install the bluetooth in the dock of the iPod". Then they wouldn't have to do any major changes to the iPod and it could have the feature. I can't imagine it would be that hard. The dock would be connected to the outlet so it would have power and when you connect the iPod, it would sense it and automatically send a signal to the computer and they would sync like usual. The bluetooth feature will be really cool, but you still have to plug it in at some point to charge it, so you can't fully remove the cable.
    Or, this could be a feature to allow older iPods to use the bluetooth feature. They could come out with new docks for the existing iPods.
  2. runninmac macrumors 65816

Jan 20, 2005
    Rockford MI
    That would be a great idea but also the iPod would still have to have the ablitie (SP?) to sync when in range (with out being in the dock) or else there wouldnt be a point of having a "wireless" syncing iPod. Also the bluetooth dock is a great idea i dont know why they have not thought of this before or just have a WiFi dock so u could sync all though out your house via the AirPort Exspress (w/ a docking bay).
  3. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
    Because the Dock is where you want the speedy firewire. Not a slow Bluetooth. I believe they have been working on a wireless firewire, or another standard that has faster transmission. But the speed of bluetooth is it limitations. This bluetooth could be used for making things easier, like moving photos from a camera to the iPod easier, then printing to a bluetooth printer. The iPod being tied to the camera has been in the news so it wouldn't supprise me if that is where that bluetooth module is going for.
  4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    i had this idea a while back, but i was thinking along the lines of 802.11g speeds, that why file transfer speed wouldnt be an issue, and i think it is a great idea personally, and i still wonder why apple has yet to employ it, also you could then use Airtunes to play your docked iPod to your airport express, which BT would not allow you to do
  5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    How about charging the battery? Pretty sure you can't do this with either Bluetooth or 802.11g. I still reckon you should be able to have an Airport Express style base station with a hard drive inbuilt that stores music and the iPod can be charged off of that. This would solve heaps of my problems (syncing multiple libraries etc.) :)
  6. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    search the forums, there are quite a few post on this topic.