Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silverpoebandit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2008
I have an IPod Bose docking station ( the original one ) and its a shame there's no way to hook any other device into it other than an Ipod... its a nice speaker

I'm looking for a connector, if one even exists, that would be the output from an AV jack or RCA cables and an input of an ipod.

Any input?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I don't think such a connector exists; why I have a Acoustiwave system with RCA to 3.5mm cable instead.

fuzorsilverbolt

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
dock to rca

I know that you can get a convertor to connect the special ipod connector on the bottom of the ipod to RCA plugs either male or female. However, I can't find anything that would convert a dock style sound system to accept a rca connection. I'm assuming that you'd need a female ipod connector to RCA or mini 3.5mm stereo headphone plug to connect to another device. Sorry I couldn't find anything to help you.

The only thing I could recommend if you are handy with electronics is to hack up a connection by diassembling the sound system, find the solder points for the +- for the left and right channels and soldering on your own connectors... But if you're not handy with a soldering iron then I recommend not doing this hack.

silverpoebandit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2008
I'm handy with a soldering gun, but I don't think "hacking" up a Bose system is something i wanna do.

i might just go out and buy an "audio jack to RCA cables" and then try to buy an old ipod. somehow rip apart the ipod and steal the female end from inside, then solder that to the end of cut off from the cables. I'll post it if it works

fuzorsilverbolt

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
ok

Ok. Well the iPods are difficult to disassemble but there are many tutorials on the internet on how to take them apart. As far as soldering new audio out wires on them you're going to have to experiement. iPods are very sensitive, be careful.

http://www.ifixit.com - Is a website that has guides to disassemble ipods.

From experience, ipod circuitry is very very very small and detailed. The reason why I suggested doing the radio instead is because it is likely that the circuit boards would be bigger with less dense circuitry which would make hand soldering easier.

Goldcard

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
St. Paul, MN
The new Bose Sounddock Portable contains a 3.5mm Audio-In Jack on the back. This would allow you to plug into various devices. However, the non-portable version, and I'm assuming the version you have, does not contain this jack. So a cool option would be to purchase the new sounddock portable and sell your old sounddock to a friend or on ebay. It retails for $399 and has a Li-Ion battery in the back as well that gives you over six hours of battery life on a single charge before having to plug it back into the wall. The other feature that is nice to note, in addition to the battery and the 3.5mm jack, is the new remote which now gives you greater control over the ipod because it contains buttons for changing albums and artists. Let me know if you have any other questions regarding the sounddock portable and I'd love to answer them for you!

charly

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2008
Cable for Bose sounddock

Hi,
I've just visited some websites where they talk about how to build a cable for the Bose sounddock to a 1/8 connector or a RCA connector (http://mike.kruckenberg.com/archives/2006/10/building_an_aux_input_cable_for_bose_sounddock.html)
There is another one where you can directly buy the cable: http://www.cablejive.com/sounddockcable.html
I would like to know if someone could recommend me to do that or if it could damage the station. I'm an engineer but I don't know enough about electronics.
Thanks,

peejer

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2007
TN
I have the cablejive cable and I can tell you that it is wonderful! I use it to play my Sirius satellite radio and it works and sounds fantastic.

I can also vouch for the customer service. I was having a dinner party 5 days prior to ordering and they rushed shipped my cable without an extra charge.

If needed I would do business with them again in a heartbeat.

Hope that is helpful.

brendangies

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
I have the cablejive cable and I can tell you that it is wonderful! I use it to play my Sirius satellite radio and it works and sounds fantastic.

I can also vouch for the customer service. I was having a dinner party 5 days prior to ordering and they rushed shipped my cable without an extra charge.

If needed I would do business with them again in a heartbeat.

Hope that is helpful.

What type of cable is it? Dock extender or charge converter?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.