iPod = Broken. Need Assistance!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by michaelrjohnson, Aug 1, 2006.

1. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Alright MR, can you help me?

My 4G iPod just stopped working. It was working just fine, but it sat on my desk for a while. I turned it on, and the battery died instantly, so I plugged it in on Sunday. I went to use it yesterday for a bike ride, and it didn't work... at all.

It keeps trying to start itself up (So I see the "Apple" screen.), but then after a few seconds, the "Folder w/Exclamation Point" shows up. I try a hard reset (Menu + Select buttons) and then I get the "Sad iPod" icon.

I have tried all of the suggestions offered by Apple's help section:
    • Charge iPod
    • Plug it in, and use the "Restore" function in the iPod Updater
    • Force iPod into Disk Mode and try "Restore" function
    All to no avail. Upon attempting a "Restore", it fails because it can't mount the iPod. Only after entering Disk mode will it show up in Disk Utility, which shows no partition data.

All efforts to mount, "Restore", erase, and re-partition the iPod fail.

Is there anything that I can do without resorting to service?

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

My 4G iPod had a similar situation a week ago, after a 6-inch fall onto a hard floor. Every time I turned it on I got a sound like the HD was spinning up, then nothing. 'Sad iPod' icon and the whole bit. Couldn't restore, didn't appear in Disk Utility. Desperate, and out of warranty, I opened up the case, unplugged the HD cable, plugged it back in, and it works fine again. I don't know if this helps you at all, but it was a lifesaver for me.

Good luck.

3. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

try reformating it in disk utility.

if that does not work you need a new HD which you can buy off ebay or whatever, it's not that hard to put in.

4. michaelrjohnson thread starter macrumors 68020

Most people who say they've had similar situations also say they've dropped their iPod. I never dropped mine, and it's been babied pretty well (Sure, it's scratched, but very clean and cared for.) over the years, so this really comes as a surprise.

How did you open the iPod case?

5. michaelrjohnson thread starter macrumors 68020

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

get a thin small knife dig into the seam and crack it open around the edges, i've got to the point where i can do it in seconds and not damage it, but you'd find it much harder, you can buy a replacement ipod battery which comes with a tool which makes it easier, your choice.

7. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

Does your computer recognise the iPod when plugged in, you may beable reformat and put music back on. It happened to my sisters iPod, that what I did, a file or folder probably corrupted and all was lost!

8. michaelrjohnson thread starter macrumors 68020

Nope. It doesn't show up in the Finder or iTunes. Like I said, it doesn't mount. (Except when being forced into disk mode, and then it only shows up in Disk Utility with no partition data.)

9. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I opened it using a very thin screwdriver that I have at work, but it's tiny and probably not something you can readily find. A thin ruler also works well. Start on the side, not top or bottom, and give it a try. Squeezing the top and bottom 'together' at the same time may make it easier to wedge in whatever tool you choose.

Again, good luck.

10. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

my fav tool is a swiss army knife, the second smallest one they sell with the knife, file, scissors, toothpick and tweezers.

the knife is exactly the right size for it.

(w00t, 5,000th post YAY)

11. michaelrjohnson thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for the assistance!

Are there other suggestions for home-remedies?

12. playm0de macrumors member

same thing happened to me, and I didn't drop it. Apparently my harddrive died.

13. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

Sounds like a dead HD, not battery. Sad ipod icon means dead hd 90% of the time. Folder with exclamation point means the software is installed wrong, or corrupted.

14. michaelrjohnson thread starter macrumors 68020

That's the thing... I get both. (The battery is fine, it worked over the weekend.)