iPod broken? Possible warranty service needed?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by joshua_msu, Sep 20, 2004.

1. joshua_msu macrumors regular

joshua_msu

Alright guys, I need your opinion on this matter. I have a 3G 10GB iPod formatted for Windows XP Home use. I have had this since the beginning of last December, so almost 10 months now. Anyways I am having problems with it.

About a month ago, I noticed that it would randomly reset to the Apple logo screen while I was playing my music. Afterwards it would start to work again. I put up with this until a few weeks ago when it started doing it more and more. So, I did a restore and deleted everything and started fresh with the newest software. Well this didnt help at all.

Now, whenever I select any song to be played, the song info comes up like it is about to play, then after about five seconds, it resets like it did before. I cannot play anything at all. I restored it again, and the same thing keeps happening. Anyways, I think I may need to get it replaced.

Well, my question for you guys is, should I take this in for warranty work, or am I missing something that I may be able to remedy myself? I bought this off the Apple Store online, so am I correct in assuming that I can take it to any physical Apple store to be looked at? Also, will they charge me to diagnose it, even though it is under warranty? Do I need an original reciept, or will the have the info saved with the serial number?

Thanks guys for the help. Looking forward to using it again, as I havent been able to in a while now, and am missing it dearly. Never realized how archaic CD walkmen are.

Thanks, Josh

2. jane doe macrumors 6502

you should be able to take the iPod to the apple store and have them look at it, should something be wrong with it they will give you another one right there, if they have one.

3. joshua_msu thread starter macrumors regular

joshua_msu

Cool, thanks for the quick reply. Do you think I will need the receipt, or will they have the serial number on file? I cant really find it right now. Thanks again.

4. jane doe macrumors 6502

If you got it there they should have it on file. If not most of the time the serial number is all you need.

5. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Yeah, all they need is the serial number. That's what the online service needs, and I would assume that the physical store wouldn't need anything more.

6. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I broke the headphone jack on my 20GB 2G iPod and sent it into Apple since it was still under warranty. They replaced it with a new one instead of fixing it. The new one they sent me had the problem you are describing....exactly. They took me through all of the do-it-yourself-at-home-things to test it out. It had to be sent in and replaced. So call Apple and have them replace it. The serial # should be on the back of the iPod or in the 'about' section in your iPods menu.

7. joshua_msu thread starter macrumors regular

joshua_msu

Well I took it to the Apple store today. The guy was perplexed and said I should call AppleCare, although I did not purchase it. He said it could not be replaced at the store since it was engraved, even though I didnt care that the new one wouldnt be engraved.

Well I see that since I am six months into my warranty, I still have to pay 29.99 for shipping and handling. Kinda crappy. Im thinking I should just buy the AppleCare for 47 on an Edu discount. That wold make more sense I think. Anyways, what do you guys think I should do, and have you ever heard of them charging for warranty work? Thanks