iPod buds blown out

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by CubaTBird, Jan 8, 2005.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

i think the left one is blown out b/c i hear stuttering... is their a way to get them replaced? my ipod is still under warrnty.. does that include the buds too? i guess to much music to loud

2. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I think that it should be covered. Wouldn't see why not. How long ahve you had your iPod? If it has been more than 6 months they charge for shipping.

3. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

I'd be more concerned with you hearing if your listening to it so loud it blows the buds. :p

They might just replace them (seeing that they are cheap anyway) or they might just show you over to the in ear buds.

4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i'm pretty sure they'll replace them BUT you may seriously want to consider lowering the volume.

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Remember to check another set of headphones in the iPod before you assume it's the earbuds.

I have a similar problem with the in-ear ones. The right one plays at about 10% of the left one and with those, I never have the music that high. I'm taking them into the Apple Store tonight so will let you know what they say.

6. mrviga macrumors member

Yup, they will replace them. I had this happen to me on both my iPod and iPod mini, and both times they replaced them no questions asked. As long as they can hear distortion, you're golden.

7. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

8. northen macrumors member

northen

Well, if they won't replace it, you can get nice Sony street-style earphones/neckband earphones for almost nothing :)

Earphones and headphones can sometimes break due to a mischarge of their magnetic field or exposure to powerful magnetic fields. I've had it happen several times. Even with $150 Sennheiser studio headphones.

9. jmsait19 macrumors 6502

seriously?

Man, my buds blew a a while back and my iPod has since gone out of warranty. I just figured they wouldn't replace them.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you hear stuttering, and not *distortion*, doesn't that indicate that the wire leading into that bud is damaged, and not that the bud is blown? Academic, I know, but I've had *that* happen a lot of times. I've never blown the actual speaker inside the bud. :eek: Especially considering that the iPod doesn't get that loud to begin with...the max volume setting is way too loud for me to listen to with earbuds, but I have accidentally played through them at that volume for a few seconds, several times, because my iPod was hooked up to the car or stereo and turned up to full to simulate line level.... :eek:

11. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i've gone through quite a few ipod headphones. as long as they can see that something's wrong, they'll replace them at the genius bar. where did you buy it though? if you bought it at best buy i'm not 100% sure if you can go to a genius bar.