iPod Buyers Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by suraj, May 10, 2004.

1. suraj macrumors member

suraj

I've owned my G4 12" iBook for a couple months now and I've decided to pick up a 15GB iPod, something I've wanted for quite a while.

Firstly, I've decided on getting the 15GB with my EDU discount over the 20GB because of the HUGE cost savings ($365cdn 15GB vs. 20GB $525). The only accessory I plan on adding is the iPod dock @ $56. I also plan on picking up a set of Bang & Olufsen Headphones with the money I save opting for a 15GB.

My iBook only has 40GB of HD space and I was wondering if it is possible to keep all of my music on the iPod and thus only have it playable through iTunes when my iPod is docked?

That way I could save up to 15GB of Hard Drive space by having all my Lossless encoded tracks on my iPod rather then on my HD.

Anyone done this or know if it is possible?

Thanks in advance,

2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

don't think you can do that unfortunately, need to have music on ibook to sync to ipod
    i'd check out the refurb ipods at the apple store

3. Apmonia macrumors regular

This can be done however, you must first encode everything and put them on your hard drive. Then you can download a program for about eight bucks called iPodManager and turn off the automatic update in iTunes, sync your iPod, and then take off the songs at your own will.

This is the only way I know how to do it.

Apmonia

4. thirteen1031 macrumors 6502

thirteen1031

BAD IDEA!

Assuming the iBook is your only computer and/or the music you're planning on keeping on the iPod isn't on some other computer....

Then repeat after me: "This is a bad idea."

Say that a few times. Yes. You can do this. You can download all your music onto your harddrive, transfer it to your iPod then erase it from your harddrive (READ warning below before you even THINK about doing this!).

But this is a bad, really BAD, REALLY REALLY BAD idea.

Did I mention that it's a bad idea? 'Cause you see, iPods are not perfect. They may freeze, or get a glitch or need to be re-set. They get dropped. Or stolen. Or die. And if that happens, you're screwed. The music is gone. And if you haven't kept your CD's (or if you downloaded it from the music store!) you're in even more trouble. Music isn't on the harddrive and it isn't on the iPod, and it isn't in your home. Gone :(

What should you do if you have tons of music but want to keep your harddrive fairly empty? Get an external drive just for the music. You can 'em fairly cheap--lots of gigs for all that music. Just take a look at these:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...a1OFVHrmd/0.0.7.1.0.5.13.0.2.1.3.0.7.16.1.1.0

Then all you do is:
    1) Connect external drive to computer and move your iTunes folder to the external drive
    2) Open iTunes
    3) Preferences>Advanced
    4) Tell iTunes where to find that music--on the harddrive that's connected to the computer.

Does this mean you have to take your harddrive along with your iBook if you to listen to music? Nope--though you can. Some of those external drives are wonderfully portable. But you can just use the iPod as planned. When you want to make playlists or transfer songs to and from the iPod, you head home, plug in the external drive, and there you go. iTunes appears with ALL your music, ready to be put on or taken off the iPod. Nothing lost and less chance of losing it. iPod dies or falls or gets stolen...music is still at home, ready for a new iPod.

*WARNING if you plan on transfering music to iPod and erasing from harddrive (or just having no music on your iBook harddrive): Make sure the iPod is on MANUAL!--if on automatic, the iPod will automatically "update" with the music on your harddrive. This means the iPod erases all it's music to replace it with all the music on your harddrive. No music on the harddive = no music on the iPod :eek:

Manual means that you have to drag songs from iTunes onto your iPod Manually--but it also means that when you hook up your iPod to your computer, all the songs on it will stay on it. And you can see them when you bring up iTunes and click on the iPod icon.

To switch to Manual: Click on the iPod icon in "source". In the lower right-hand corner of the window you'll see some buttons. Click on the first one, the one with a little iPod icon. That's "Options" and it will let you switch to manual--or to different types of "automatic" if you've been wise and taken the advise above.

5. suraj thread starter macrumors member

suraj

Cheers for the advice, it all seems a lot clearer now. I may as well pick up the small (15GB) iPod and an additional external HD for my music library.

Also, are the iPod refurbs availible to Canada/Education Stores? Because I can't seem to find them on the website.

Once again thirteen1031, thanks for the advice :)

6. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

i would highly suggest getting a very good case because the ipod picks up scratches very very easily.