iPod Cable Question

Discussion in 'iPod' started by greese, Dec 11, 2006.

1. greese macrumors newbie

Sep 22, 2006
    I have a 4G iPod 20GB and a 1G iPod nano. The 20Gb came with a firewire cable, a usb cable, and a wall charger that works with the firewire cable.

Should the firewire cable and charger work with the Nano? It currently doesn't, I am just trying to figure out if it should. If it is not supposed to, i won't worry about it, if it should, then I may have a problem with my nano and need to send it back for repair.

The USB cable works fine in the Nano. I was under the impression the dockable iPods were somewhat universal and that what fits and works in one, fits and works in others.
  2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Jul 22, 2005
    they removed the firewire chip in iPods when they introduced the 5th Gen iPod and the Nanos. You can still charge it via FireWire, but you can't sync it.
  3. greese thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 22, 2006
    charging is not working either (i think, suddenly I am not so sure). When I plug the nano into the fireeire cable, the screen turns on but it does not indicate that charging is happening. The reason i am after this is that I can pug my 4G into the firewire connected to the Apple Cinema Display and it will charge even if my Mac is powered off. The USB cable does not do this. My wife wants to do the same on her nano since she seems to drain the batteries on it much faster than I do on my 4G (she also listens to it more).

Thanks for the info.Since it syncs and charges with the USB when the computer is on, and it isn't supposed to work with USB, then at least I feel better that I don't have a defective nano.