ipod capacity question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by john-paul, Aug 19, 2004.

1. john-paul macrumors newbie

Aug 19, 2004
    i have a quick question regarding my new 4G 20GB ipod. first, a bit of background information - i was planning on buying an ibook this summer for my next semester at school, and when i saw the cram and jam rebate, i decided that the discount was too good to pass up. so i selected the ship seperately option, and of course, my ipod came days before my ibook. since i was anxious to get my ipod off the ground, i first formatted it on my older pc. there were no problems a few days later integrating it to my ibook, but when the latest ipod update was downloaded, i was forced to restore the settings because of the windows formatting. a bit of a hassle re-ripping my albums, but overall no big deal. however, after this incident, i noticed on itunes that the capacity didn't add up to 20 GB. sure enough, i power on my ipod, and go settings>about> and this is what it reads -
    my name
    number of songs
    capacity 18.5GB
    version 3.0.1

sorry for my first post to be a lame help post, but does anyone know whats happening here? should i try another reset to factory settings?
  2. Veldek macrumors 68000

Mar 29, 2003
    That’s normal. It’s the difference between calculating the size in steps of 1,000 or 1,024. The harddisk has 20,000,000,000 Bytes, I think, which is about 18.62 GB. The rest is the preinstalled iPod OS.
  3. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah, this is true of all hard drives. The definition of "gigabyte" when they sell it is different from the actual size of the disk. The entire industry gets away with it, for how long, who knows.
  4. john-paul thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 19, 2004
    well, well, it was just me being a bit too sensitive after all. thanks for making me feel a bit better.