iPod Captures Top 11 of 20 Spots at Amazon

Discussion in 'iPod' started by marco114, Nov 25, 2006.

1. marco114 macrumors 6502

marco114

At Amazon, Apple has captured 11 of the top 20 consumer electronics devices this holiday season. This includes a very respectable top 3 devices being iPods sold.

So, still wondering if Zune is a threat? The highest Zune ranks 81 (Black), 377 (Brown) and 446 (Black). Even Creative has outsold Zune with a player or two. If you are thinking that since Microsoft has 3 colors and that dilutes thier share, don't forget, Apple's got black and white. I actually searched and could not find ANY iPod that was sold less than a Zune. :eek:

2. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

The ipods are a really good product. Their ongoing strong sales reflect that.
    As of today, I own 3: nano 8 GB, video 60 GB, and a new shuffle silver. They aren't perfect, but man they sure are nice to use, each in their own way.

3. shunpike macrumors regular

are you talking about current ipod or older versions... Also remember it was 15th a week ago...

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

its strange ppl here on MR forum trying to ditch zune, since most ppl here either use ipod or mac, which zune doesnt spt, in a word, there should be very few ppl here would buy a zune anyway.
    also, zune is a baby product, i wouldnt expect a baby to beat a mature product like ipod, which has been developed in years.

5. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

It's Christmas shopping season - iPods are big.

6. appleman123 macrumors newbie

HUGE especially the shuffles!

7. shunpike macrumors regular

But the Zune was released FOR the Christmas shopping season. So it should according to Microsoft's 'plan' be selling better than it did on release date..?

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Zune may be a baby product, but it is one that Microsoft has stated they hope will be an iPod "killer" and definitely released it for the Christmas shopping season. So, it is somewhat surprising to see how poorly it is actually doing.

B

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Okay, I need to ask right now... Am I wrong about the brown? How on Earth is the brown ahead of the black? :eek:

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i dont understand neither, I like black one,
    also, if u check newegg, black one is $5 cheaper than white and brown ones, weird

11. shunpike macrumors regular

it isn't ahead on Amazon.com - it's (black Zune) out of top 100 electronics as well :eek: lol

12. alywa macrumors 6502

Brown is the new black. The brown Zune is the only thing MS did right with this release. If Apple released a brown iPod, it would be a huge hit.

13. FireArse macrumors 6502a

How true

LMAO - thats so funny. I have to agree. If I see people with an iPod I simply smile and ask why they wasted their money?!

Good to hear about Apple doing so well in Amazon's listings - I'm really thinking of buying Apple shares. :)

F

14. ClassicFitness macrumors member

The brown zoune is the only physical thing that represent something never did before. So I approve your comment that it is the one and only idea M$ did right. In some way, it's kind of “classy” color.

15. The Toon Master macrumors 6502

in the portable audio and video section, iPods have All the top 5 posistions, and 9 in the top 10(SanDisk Sansa at #6. The black zune ranks 21st out of the top 25, with only the whote 60G video lower than the black Zune in the top 25..

16. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

FWIW there seem to be plenty of Zunes available at all of my local merchants. 4-5 of each color at Target alone. (Plenty of iPods too, but that's not the point).

B

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So the Zune was only doing well when released because early adopters bought them, interesting, sounds like it's going to be a miserable failure, especially if it isn't even beating the Creative/Sandisk players.

18. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

no, amazon's ranking show the black zune is improving, its #18 in mp3 player now, two days ago, its #21.

19. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Though i agree that the Zune will fail and isn't a good product to say the least, you have to also agree that the time between its release and now is not substantial at all and that it hasn't had enough time to have interest captured by "the masses" so to speak. Most people don't know what a Zune is, and if you asked that same question about the iPod even in 2003 most people would go "huh?" A better indicator would be taken after a bit of time so Microsoft has had the ability to appeal to the mainstream audience and advertise to hell first :p

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It's currently number 88 in the electronics chart (which we were talking about, it used to be in the top 20), and it is number 18 in the MP3 Player chart, below three Sandisk players, the Creative Zen Vision M, and all the current iPod's.

EDIT: Which means it looks like they will get the #4 slot overall (maybe not even that).

21. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

if somebody wants zune to get better, forget next two years until 2008. obviously MS will fix bunch of software disaster, try to catch up ipod very slowly. well, in 2008, ipod will be 7th generation. zune will be only 2nd or 3rd? but it will have still a lot of bugs. plus the gap of technology will be huge than today. windows vista can't promise how zune will work well.

the funny thing is that zune users already wait for next version of device. it's just out this month. there are few forums on it. they don't seem to admit advantage of ipods. that's pathetic. for example, podcast has been grown up faster. but they say that who care podcast when you have built-in radio? is it their reaction? podcast is one of advantages to use ipod as special feature. they don't seem to realize how it could be impact in a big time. I mean how many people are listening radio more than two hours every day? Apple already knew radio is not important anymore five years ago. they have foresight to predict a bright future. MS does not.

22. marco114 thread starter macrumors 6502

marco114

I posted this thread mainly because people think the Zune is actually a threat to Apple. This just goes to show you that the iPod sales are not lagging at all. Wait til Apple realeases the secret video weapon before Christmas. It won't be in stock anywhere.

23. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

its been out like, .... for 13 days? plz, give it a break, its a mp3/video player, if people like it, they will buy it. but not in 2 weeks.