iPod Car Connection

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by EJBasile, May 9, 2004.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Help....

I have a 20gb iPod that i want to connect to my new Range Rover's stereo system. I know you can use the FM transmitters and tape transferring things. The radio in the Rover is a 570-watt harman/kardon™ LOGIC7™ digital surround-sound AM/FM-stereo/cassette stereo.

Anyone know any other ways- just looking around at my options

Thanks

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Well i'm not familiar with that stereo, so i can't give you any custom recommendations, but the most common way to do a good install (not using transmitters) is to get a Y adaptor, with a minijack on one end for your iPod, and component audio on the other end, which you plug into your stereo. Many systems include "audio in" on the back, but some don't. The only way to find out is to check your owners manual, or find someone that has the same system. If there's no "audio in" ports, you can use a cassette adaptor, the same kind that people used to use for connecting CD players to their stereo. These aren't good quality, and may be worse than using a transmitter. They can also wear out quickly, since you're relying on moving parts. I would definitely try to use a Y adaptor (you can find them at radioshack, or many discount stores now) because it'll give you the best sound quality possible. You can just run the cable underneath the dashboard, or find a spot to snake it through, and you can tuck the cord out of the way when your iPod isn't plugged in.

paul

3. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

4. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Unfortunatly my car doesn't have an external CD player-

5. MontgomeryBurns macrumors member

6. Whigga Spitta macrumors 6502

Why shell out the money for a Range Rover...yet not buy a CD player?

Sorry, that is of no help to you, but I personally use the Griffin iTrip for lack of a better solution with my aftermarket head unit. For low volume listening, the quality is noticably better/fuller than a strong local station, IMO. I cannot compare it to a cassete adapter, but I have been pleased with my iTrip.

7. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

i said EXTERNAL CD player- wow for the money i spent they should have an input jack!!!

8. Apmonia macrumors regular

I use the Belkin FM transmitter and it is alright however, I would use the tape adapter. It will sound better and it will be easier to use.

Apmonia

9. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Go to target/wal-mart and get a tape adapter. It's the easiest.