ipod car connector

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by D0ct0rteeth, May 11, 2002.

1. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Hey all... i have a question...

I am about to buy a new cadillac cts and I need to hook up my ipod

In my current car I have been using FM broadcasters and it is no secret that they are useless and I absolutly refuse to put a new cd player in the cts... the factory unit looks clean and beautiful... it is staying.

But due to my bullheaded nature I have no way to get the mp3's in.

Is there a way (if i take my car back to the dealer or damn good car audio joint) to put some sort of A/B switch or install a clean looking solution.

I imagine there is a part of the "car audio chain" that will allow me to "splice" in a aux in jack and i can just have a minijack wire/plug in the glove compartment...

Im going to go looking around tomorrow at car audio shops; but i fig'd i would ask around and see if anyone has tried this yet...

FYI: I found this thread on a car audio site.. same idea... still no answers...

http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/showthread.php?threadid=75811&highlight=ipod

Thanks

C-

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Check with the dealership to see if there is any aux. inputs in the back of the factory unit. I wanted to do something like that when I got my new truck, but the connection on the back of the stereo in it has a proprietary connection (for a multi-cd unit). I haven't bothered to see if there are adapting cable that will allow me to connect my iPod to the stereo. I might check later to see if I can find something to use to jack my iPod into.

The stock system in my truck also accepts MP3 cd's, and can even display the information you put onto it for titles and such. If you want to make several mixes, and place them within folders, you can have it play them by directory. Not a bad unit, and it looks good in the truck (just like you mentioned about for your new cts).

3. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

FM Broadcasters

I was thinking about buying one after reading a positive review in MacWorld. What is wrong with them?

BTW, I have been using a cassette adapter. The sound quality is pretty poor (although it's better than listening to cassettes).

Chris

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

There are stereo units with front aux inputs as well.

That's what I'm looking for to replace the stock stereo in my truck.:D

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: FM Broadcasters

The cassette adapter that I was using in my previous truck sounded sweet. Then again, it was one that came with a Sony portable cd player, and I didn't have a cheap stereo in the truck. Actually, it was stock from Ford, but it still had more then enough balls to rattle the windows at under 1/2 volume. I don't need enough base to shake the entire vehicle (as the dumb-a$$ed kids have these days, think they are cool, when they are going deaf).

6. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

So what's wrong with FM broadcasters? Which are you using? I have been looking at the irock, but am hesitating now.

Chris

7. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I'm not using anything at this time. I found that the cd player inside my truck is more then enough for my needs. It is a single cd unit, not the 6 cd changer one, but I usually don't go further then one cd at a time. If I do, then it is fairly easy to put a new one in. Actually, easier then browsing through the iPod for the next playlist that I want, or album. I could create a mix cd with mp3's on it, and use that as well, which would allow for more tracks on the 700MB cd (then a normal audio disc at least). I have heard there are issues with interferrance on the FM units, which is why I have yet to get one. If they come out with one that transmits all of the quality of the tracks on the iPod into your stereo, I will consider it. As it stands, I know I get better sound from the cd then radio.