Ipod car hookup question/

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by smurfsgonewild, Jul 22, 2004.

1. smurfsgonewild macrumors member

I was wondering if there was any other way to play my ipod through my car stereo other than the line in, fm transmiter, or tape adapter. I bought a fm transmitter today and I'm gonna try that out to see how it works tomorrow, my car stereo is stock so there's no line in and I don't have a cassette player. Apparently Mazda likes to make people pay for a cassette player and won't just give it to the owners like most companies. I would like to know if anybody has any experiences hooking their ipod up to their car. A permanent solution would be the best for me. I'm not sure what type of hook ups my car has since there's like thirty little steps involved in taking out my console I'd rather not do it until I'm ready to install.The site I usually go to for my car information is down so so I can't get it from them but as soon as I know, I'll post here. I figured you guys might be able to help me a pretty good bit. Thanks in advance

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

If you're ruling out line-in, cassette adaptor, and FM transmitter then your only other option is to sit in the car, stare at your iPod, and remember what the songs sound like.

I'm going to guess that unless you upgrade your stereo you don't have a line in. It's not a typical factory radio item. Many aftermarket head units don't even have it. Until then you're stuck with an FM transmitter. They work okay when they work, but if you live in a big city all the frequencies are taken. I can get mine to work on 88.3 within about a mile of my house but after that there's too much interference on all available frequencies.

This weekend I'll be hard wiring a dock connector into my car using the line-in on my stereo. I'll write it up for my website and maybe make a movie. It seems to be the big thing now that BMW offers it.