iPod Car Integration

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rickvanr, Apr 3, 2005.

1. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Hello

I'm putting a better stereo into my car. I'm pretty sure I'm getting the an Alpine deck. This model: CDA-9855, along with it, I'm also getting the: KCA-420I. I'm curious is to how able and easy it is to pick and chose songs on my ipod using this deck. Will I be able to navigate much the same using the deck as my ipod?

If anyone has used this, or something like it from alpine, some impressions and comments would be nice.

Thanks

2. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

I was just looking into this the other day. Go Here and from there you can click on the Flash demo link in the description.

allison.

3. bearwich macrumors newbie

Don't plan to hear the song you select.

At least not with a full-size iPod (don't know about the Mini). When the car's in motion, it'll skip the song you select and play the next one instead at least 3/4 of the time. This isn't limited to the car; an iPod will do this even if you're holding it in your hand and moving it around.

It seemed incredible at first that this defect has gone so underreported in the media, but then again people are so ignorant these days that they probably don't even know their own music well enough to realize that a song's been skipped.

4. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

My friend uses that and it works great. He's never had problems with it, the music plays and doesn't cut out or skip like some people are saying.

5. nichos macrumors 6502

nichos

On a related note, the pioneer decks (3700 models and above) just released have the ipod adpater that just came available this month. I just bought the 4700 and like it alot :) No ipod yet though.

6. Funkatation macrumors regular

I installed an alpine deck and ipod interface unit in my wife's car a few months back. I was a bit disappointed with the "Mix" feature. Every time you turn the car off it disables it, so when you turn it back on you have to re-enable it. By far the easiest way to manage the music is by playlist. Sound quality is top notch. Installed deck into 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer w/stock 6 speaker system. Made it sound completely different, and was quite impressed. Overall I thought it was a bit expensive, but no more than a CD Changer, but far more versatile.

7. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

eh? I don't understand what you mean here.

I can shake my ipod, move it around, jog with it, and it never skips at all.

Maybe yours is faulty if it skips?

8. rickvanr thread starter macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I think he means, at least to my understand and experience is that when selecting the first song out of xxxx many songs in a playlist, it sometimes plays the one after the one you've selected. This happened to me a lot on my first ipod and second ipod (both 1st Gen) but it also happens on my 3G iPod, just less.

Edit: Bearwich; but that is what the back button on the ipod is for.

9. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

Kenwood also makes an iPod car interface... does anybody have any insights in the limitations of those three interface boxes (pionneer, alpine, kenwood) ? Speed ? Ease of use/navigation ? number of songs per playlist ?

...I really need a new deck to replace my stock VW Golf unit (non-monsoon), I was going to get an alpine...but now there is almost too much choice :)

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

11. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

I have the Alpine 420i with an Alpine HU. All i have to say is yes the sound is top notch but getting to the song you want to hear is a pain. I have to scroll threw hundreds of artists in alphabetical order.

The only way to make it simple is to create many playlists with mixes of songs. Otherwise you'll be spinning that knob for a long time trying to track down an artist in the M's.

I love it though. It works very well. Sometimes there are quarks with it but I think its the fault of the iPod (song does not load up for 5 seconds or so, will not play certain songs, etc...)

It was worth it in my eyes but just a warning, its a pain to scroll through by artists, song, etc... you need to make up playlists. I have my iPod located in the glove box.

12. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

one thought. if you think you might prefer to control your ipod directly instead of through the head unit, you should consider a CDM model instead of a CDA. you might be able to find it for cheaper. i took my old CDM, connected a 3.5 to the m-bus controller on the back (alpine sells this). i connected that to a belkin auto kit, tucking the m-bus wire behind the console. i use a vent mounted cell phone holder to hold my ipod, and control directly. it's nice because i can access anything i want to listen to directly and quickly - especially the playlists.

the only problem with this is the belkin cable is a bit garish and white. not bad, but not good. i can deal with it, you migth be able to, i don't know. i could find a way to hide it, but too lazy to think of one.

13. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

thanks for the info guys... I think setting up playlists and playing them using shuffle is perfectly acceptable in the car. It's like having your own radio station.

I like the idea of having my iPod safely stored in the glove compartment, too.

I really prefer the look of some Pionneer decks compared to the ones from Alpine, but I guess looks is not everything... ;)
    cheers

14. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

I've always liked Alpine gear and think you should go with them but i am biased as i never owned a Pioneer deck. But let us know what you do! Good luck.

15. rickvanr thread starter macrumors 68040

rickvanr

The way I was told, the new Alpine decks, like the one I mentioned in my original post work just like the iPod does. So you can navigate the ipod, just like you would on the actual iPod, but through the deck. So you can go through the list of your artists, albums, playlists, etc... Can anyone confirm or deny this? The local dealer for Alpine hasn't got his stock in yet so I haven't bought a deck yet.

16. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

...it has been a while. I finally opted for the Dension IceLink+... and kept the factory deck (stock radio in VW Golf GTI VR6). First I got the model that plugs into the rear of the radio and wanted to get it installed at the store...but they didn't manage to install it (wrong connectors). So I ordered the 'self installation' version, which plugs into the CD changer harness in the back of the car. Plug and play, it is easy to run the cable to the front...into the armrest. Perfect.

Unfortunately, the song names are not displayed on the actual deck (only few models support that feature), but I can access the first 6 playlists, fwd/rew songs and toggle shuffle on/off straight from the head unit.

I love it. Instead of buying a new deck, I might invest in a good amp for better sound quality...but that is going to be a bit more involved on the installation side. Maybe in a couple months :)

17. mpw Guest

There's an iPod fitting kit as an option on some, if not all, Mercs. My boss has had his car at the dealer for three days while they've been trying to fit it, today they got it working but his built-in hands free phone no longer works :eek:

18. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

Never had this problem before.