iPod Car setup

Discussion in 'iPod' started by joshwest, Sep 22, 2005.

1. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

Hi i was curious what is everyones car setups. Pics diagrams etc etc. i know tons use itrip but ive seen some pretty elaborate home jobs and ones using special products.

2. jayb2000 macrumors 6502a

jayb2000

CD Changer

My Jeep was setup from the factory CD changer ready. So, I got a USA SPEC Auxiliary Interface from Cructhfield. Basically, its a box about 3"x3"x1" that has a cable on one side that plugs into the CD changer port on the back of the factory setup and 2 sets of RCA jacks on the other. added [​IMG]
    So, then I just got a Monster cable mini-jack to RCA cord. Sounds great and never have to change the station like with iTrip or one of those. Plus no static. With the second set of RCA jacks, I can also plug in Satellite radio or anything else in the future. I have a cassette adapter for my wife's car and the sound is much more muted and it tends to get fuzzy if its turned up.
    They have some that will charge and/or let you control the iPod, but they were much more money and I already have a car charger. Speaking of which, I really am happy with the incase car/AC charger. [​IMG]
    It has a line-out that I plug the RCA adapter into and it charges the iPod. So I can hold the iPod with only the cable on the bottom instead of top and bottom. Also, because I can hold it, its easy to find what I want. Some of the controllers I have seen only let you start/pause/skip. With my setup, I can use the scroll wheel and have full functionality.

3. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

I think also what jayb2000 forgot to add would be that you can get a little "external cigarette adapter" from like radio shack for cheap and you soder it to your cars current cigarette adapter where it goes into your car (on the back) so you have 2 cigarette adapters but one is inside and you plug that car charger/input device to it and run the single cord outside so that all you have left is the one cord that charges your ipod as well as plays it through your car stereo...cheap and efective...I will try and post some pics of mine in the future

4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

nothing fancy... tape-deck player thingy that plugs in to the ipod headphone jack. works just fine :D

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I just have a cable into the back of my deck which plugs into my iPod's headphone jack. The direct line-in has way beter quality than the Monster FM transmitter I used to use. I'll post a pic when I have a chance...

6. joshwest thread starter macrumors 65816

joshwest

i myself about to purcahse a jetta, i heard vw'
    s have a aux input/set of rca's in on the back of all there stock vw cd/radio's in all their cars, can anyone verify this i was thinking of just getting the moster rca cable and plugging my ipod up that way, the itrip is ok but the static gets on my nervs. And im getting a New Jetta so i want it the way i want it

7. chubsta macrumors newbie

I use a dension icelink plus which plugs into the back of my head-unit and allows me to operate the ipod using the stalk controls on my steering wheel, and also via the 1-6 buttons on the front of the head-unit - gives great sound and control so i recommend it

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Wow, the grammar police would have a field day with that post! :p ;)

To answer your question, yes, to my knowledge all VWs have the capability to plug your iPod right into the back of the deck. Your new Jetta should be fine, so buy it and enjoy! They are excellent cars by the way. Are you getting the heated leather seats as well? :)

9. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

well technically i can't drive yet, but my dad has a Honda Element that allows a direct 3.5mm mini-stereo input in the "auxilary" switch. like this only some cheaper brand i got at circuit city.

10. joshwest thread starter macrumors 65816

joshwest

My apologies for the bad grammar, sometimes i just type how i would talk. Yes my Jetta is a used loaded out 2000 model vr6, i cant wait. Has Leather Heated Seats Sunroof , Alloys, and Sunroof the works. I test drove it yesterday and someone took the 6 disc changer out of the trunk only thing left is the head unit that has a tape deck on it. But i heard all VW's has another set of in's on the back. So i Can get the Monster RCA and Run up the side of the console.

11. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

I use the the iceLink+ in my VW GTI... works great. Cable runs from the CD changer in the back into the armrest between the two front seats (only a short piece of cable into the armrest is visible, I didn't want to drill any holes).

Unfortunately, my factory head unit doesn't support name tags, so I don't see the track names on the actual unit display... but I can always check it on the iPod. But the unit controls work: 1-6 for playlists, play, stop, forward, back, shuffle...

I'll see if I can snag some pictures later, but I am afraid it is not very 'dramatic' :)

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

No need to apologize, just having some fun. ;) That sounds like an awesome vehicle you're getting there - enjoy! :cool:

13. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Wow, I have a Jetta VR6. That would be great if I could just pop the head unti out and hook a RCA-1/8th cable directly into it.

*wanders outside to car*

14. xyian macrumors 6502

xyian

Junker, nice stereo

I hooked my iPod up as my head unit. I disconnected my old two knob stereo, installed an amp, patched the rca's for it and set up the amp for my speakers and subwoofer. Now, if I want radio I download podcasts. Otherwise, I listen to MY music and no commercials. One up on satellite radio.

15. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

My Icelink+ is great but I've had to revert to controlling from the iPod in order to access Podcasts. Not quite as safe...

16. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I've got an Alpine headunit with the iPod adaptor i my MX-5. As the standard unit in the car was a 2-Din one fitting an aftermarket unit leaves a 1 Din hole. I got a little 1 Din cubby box, cut a small hole in the back and fed the Dock connector cable to there. I'll post pictures later if I remember...

17. fayans macrumors 6502a

fayans

Is iTrip meant for listening to radio only or it can be setup to car audio to listen to ipod playlist?

18. joshwest thread starter macrumors 65816

joshwest

Does it work, im picking up a VR6 this weekend and im wondering if the head unit has these capabiilities?

19. joshwest thread starter macrumors 65816

joshwest

can i see pics im wanting to do the exact thing to my jetta.. Thanks. :)

20. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

well, there is not much to see, really... I usually have the armrest folded back, too. The cable is neatly tucked away up to the armrest... Let me know if you have any questions.

Attached Files:

21. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i just use an itrip its ok, it gets me from NY to boston. I have no idea if my car has a RCA jacks or not on it. Can anyone tell me, i have an 04 lexus ES330 with the navi and mark lenvinson audio option :cool:
    thanks

22. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

I have an Alpine CDA-9851 Head Unit with an Alpine iPod Interface. I control my iPod thru my head unit. It's very nice!! And the sound quality is freakin' amazing!!!!!!!!

23. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I have an older Alpine head unit so I had to use an adapter that gives you a standard 1/8in audio input jack. I then use a Belkin Car Charger which has a dock adapter and a 1/8in audio output jack. So I plug the cable in from head unit into the belkin charger and I get virtually no loss of sound quality. My friend helped run the wires so only the charger is visible. It works well and I love blasting music out of my two speakers in my 1988 Volvo 240DL

24. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

Ipod mini + Griffin itrip mini = musical bliss :)

25. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I have an '02 Passat GLS, and it doesn't work that way on my Dual DIN Monsoon HU.

The easiest way (as I understand it) is how etoiles and others did it, use an Ice>Link+ USA-SPEC, PIE, Monster, VWCDPIC or other converter than makes your iPod look like the stock CD-Changer, and hook it up to the prewired connections in the trunk. This adapter will cost you anywhere from $50 to $300.

One of these day's I'll go that route, but for now I use a Belkin Auto Kit into a Sony Cassette Adapter now. The extra amplification from the Belkin helps a lot.

B