Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ClemTiger0408

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
I currently have an in-dash unit that connects to my iPod. When plugged in, the iPod itself becomes useless and just displays the logo of the head unit. The unit's controls of the iPod are sluggish to the point of being unusable. I've been forced to disconnect the iPod every time I want to make an album change or anything.

Does a headunit exist that allows you to change songs or control the unit while it is plugged in? I know I could use a line-in jack, but then I lose the ability to charge the iPod (I have a GPS unit taking up my charging port).

With CES here I was hoping something would come out.

jdcrow711

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2008
DC
I think anything thats using the connector and not the line-in takes away the iPod usability -- as much as I have seen.

I spent a lot of time before replacing my head-unit to find one with great iPod control before settling on an Alpine unit. I was very happy with the controls, but eventually paired my library down a bit because even with great control from the head-unit you are going to end up scrolling too much!

And yes -- I know replacing your head-unit is probably not a planned activity. Sorry :(

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
I think anything thats using the connector and not the line-in takes away the iPod usability -- as much as I have seen.

I spent a lot of time before replacing my head-unit to find one with great iPod control before settling on an Alpine unit. I was very happy with the controls, but eventually paired my library down a bit because even with great control from the head-unit you are going to end up scrolling too much!

And yes -- I know replacing your head-unit is probably not a planned activity. Sorry :(

What model are you using? Like the OP, I wanted to buy a 'control head' type stereo, but when I took my iPod to the store and plugged it in to their demo unit the scrolling was unbelievably slow. There was no way that would work practically with any library with more than just a few artist/albums. Have you found a stereo that controls the iPod reasonably?

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I have a Pioneer unit that I bought a few months ago. It has the iPod connector as well as a USB connector for other devices as well.

Like yours, the deck controls the iPod. The entire screen is a touch screen so the iPods menus appear on the screen of the deck. Playlists can be selected, artists, albums and even songs can be selecetd to be played. Videos and movies and TV shows play through the screen on the deck as well.

There is a button to push for when you want to use the iPod to control the deck. With this you can use the iPod just as you would normally and then it will play through on the deck. Press the iPod control button again and the decks screen once again controls the iPod.

The deck I have cost me $499 back in November. Well worth the cost. The decks interface is very fast and never has any delay.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
I have a Pioneer unit that I bought a few months ago. It has the iPod connector as well as a USB connector for other devices as well.

Like yours, the deck controls the iPod. The entire screen is a touch screen so the iPods menus appear on the screen of the deck. Playlists can be selected, artists, albums and even songs can be selecetd to be played. Videos and movies and TV shows play through the screen on the deck as well.

There is a button to push for when you want to use the iPod to control the deck. With this you can use the iPod just as you would normally and then it will play through on the deck. Press the iPod control button again and the decks screen once again controls the iPod.

The deck I have cost me $499 back in November. Well worth the cost. The decks interface is very fast and never has any delay.

Could you post the model number?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.