Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you a silicone or hard case person?

• Silicone

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Polycarbonate

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Some of each

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Naked iPod FTW!

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
No matter how much I try to warm up to hard cases so that I can actually see the color of my iPod, I just can't do it and feel much better with silicone, especially since it won't crack open in two pieces in a drop like silicone.

I've been sitting on my naked 5th gen nanos not so patiently awaiting Power Supports Silicone Jacket set, and it finally came out (here in Japan) and will be shipping soon. I can't wait...their films are by far the best, and their cases are superb too in my experience.

So are you a silicone or hard case person and why?

pcb

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2009
Oxford, Ohio
Hard all the way

Silicone attracts lint and dust and doesnt slide in to a pants pocket easily.

I have dropped my speck products case for my 2g touch and it is just fine, strong, safe and much more user pocket friendly

carve

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
I use an Incase Slider for my 1st gen iPhone and I have dropped it two or three times and I haven't seen any cracking. No damage done to the phone, either.

SXR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2007
Netherlands
I use sillicone. I find it the most flexible. Its very nice in your hand and quite protective for your device.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
I actually bought the switcheasy capsule thins for my 5G nanos last week, knowing they were good cases. I figured I'd have those for hard cases, and then switch to Silicone when Power Support releases theirs.

I like the quality of them, but the films were horrible; I was only planning on using the films temporarily, but I couldn't put them on without having problems, and ruined them all. Now, the switch easy cases are just sitting around :(

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
A question for those with polycarbonate cases--have you ever noticed minor scratching from either the case itself (hard rubbing on hard) or little dirt particles getting in there?

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
I don't use anything on my video iPod. I used to use the iPod socks but then there was a very ugly fall and there didn't seem much point anymore :rolleyes:

If I had a touch I'd use a leather case. Only way I wouldn't be scared of smashing it.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
im surprised by the number of people using leather...dont they typically offer the highest amount of ipod exposure along with the largest amount of bulk?

savoirfaire

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2003
New England
I go with none of the above. I'm using the Shades polyurethane cases because they're very thin and very durable. No problems docking with it or anything like that!

pol0001

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2008
London
im surprised by the number of people using leather...dont they typically offer the highest amount of ipod exposure along with the largest amount of bulk?

I like the style of leather best. And I tend to treat 200€ gadgets carefully. Never dropped my ipod so far.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I'm a Corduroy Person.

Attachments

• IP-0033H.jpg
    IP-0033H.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 73

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I've used both, and I actually don't prefer one over the other. They're both good in my eyes. However, hard cases are usually more expensive then silicone, so I usually don't buy them.

As for now, my iPod Touch is naked. :D (Mostly because it's impossible to find any stores that still sell 1G cases.)

SXR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2007
Netherlands
Leather only for me. I take it out of the case to use it, then put it back and into my pocket.

I find that very irritating , especially when i'm in a hurry , in such a situation i wont put it back in the leather case. Thats just me.

atwell

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2009
I prefer silicone cases. I like the feel of the iPod and the protection that it gives. I have the Switch Easy Rebel Serpent and it comes with 2 screen shields, video stand, dock adapter and the 3rd pin Protector. It doesn’t add much bulk and gives it much more grip and will fit in a leather case. I have got one more from iFanatic it’s called Gamefacez college iPod cases made from silicone.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Incase PowerSlider, however, was a problem for me!

I shelled out the $99 for a PowerSlider case because I really wanted the extra battery life, and heard it was a good case. But within *weeks*, I dropped it on the ground and it cracked. Worse yet, the crack was in a critical spot on the case, causing the top and bottom halves not to fit together as tightly as they used to.

Then, I bought a second one, thinking it was just my bad luck. My kid wound up dropping the 2nd. one while she had my phone, and the bottom half cracked wide open, exposing the circuit board and battery inside it. Again, it wasn't possible to snap it back together and have it stay together after that.

So essentially, $200+ wasted on cases that only protected and powered my iPhone 3G for about 2 months total. No more of that nonsense for me! I'm using a $5 silicone case now, and it helps grip the phone without it being as likely to drop it in the first place ... and so far, it's held up well too. No spare battery in it, but looks like that's just not worth it!

I use an Incase Slider for my 1st gen iPhone and I have dropped it two or three times and I haven't seen any cracking. No damage done to the phone, either.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
I received my Power Support silicone cases/films last night and put them on.

I have to say, as always I'm impressed all around. Fantastic films, and amazing cases with spectacular fit, protection, feel, and coverage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.