iPod Cases

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Kevlar, May 27, 2004.

1. Kevlar macrumors 6502

I just bought a new 40GB ipod and I was wondering what the best kind of cover would be the best. I want to keep it looking nice as long as possible so anyone else experience is welcome :).

2. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

Check out the Speck Flip stand. I got one for my 30GB and I love it. What I really like is that it is a hard case, you can use all the controls without taking the ipod out and it comes with a dock, so you dont have to take the ipod out to charge/update it. Price is reasonable too.

www.speckproducts.com

3. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Also look at the iSkins (www.iskin.com). They seem to be really nice.

Best wishes,
    JOD8FY

4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

well, I like the ones from marware. ( www.marware.com ) I have one coming tomorrow. Ill get back to you with more info then.

5. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

And lets not forget PodSleevz by RadTech. Choices... they're gooooooood.

6. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i agree, they are very good, i couldnt fault mine.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There is also a guy named Lajo, who I think used to work with iSkin on these and now makes his own. He offers a lot of different color options and style options. I have an Exo3 and I really love it. His website is www.lajo.biz

I think the main iPod 3G cases are the EXO2 and 3; the 3 is thinner and it has a cover over the wheel. You can more or less use the wheel and buttons through the cover but the sensitivity is reduced :)... also one of the drawbacks with this line is that you have to get a separate cover for the screen. I think they're called TPUShades or something like that, and they're also on the site.

8. niter macrumors 6502

I have a 15 GB iPod and I purchased an iSkin for it. That is the best $$ I have spent on my iPod to date. Prior to having the iSkin, I had to keep my iPod in my pocket while at the gym. The result was a scuffed screen. I got the iSkin exo2 (this was before the evo was released) and it came with a clip and handstrap. I am not sure why the evo comes without the handstrap because that is my favorite part. The iSkin has saved my iPod from absolute damage (I am rather clumsy).

The very first time you drop your iPod, it is a stomach wrenching exeperience, but the iSkin made it no problem. I dropped it once on the treadmill and it was propelled into the block wall behind me...no problem. NOTE: I started using the hand strap religiously after that and I experienced no more drops on my foolish part. Also, the handstrap is great for looping around the handles on the workout equipment or other things in the car. The worse drop was a complete accident....my purse slipped from my hands and began tumbling downward....I caught it upside down only to realize that my iPod was now hurling downwards (I am rather tall) towards the parking lot. Impact right on the corner and one bounce. NOTHING HAPPENED! Okay, I do not encourage dropping and rough handling, but the iSkin is great for protection your iPod. Also, I find that accidental hits to the buttons and scroll wheel no longer affect it because with the skin on, they are recessed.

The only thing I would recommend is not getting the artic color. It is somewhat clear so it makes the iPod look a fuzzy white. It also attracts fuzz so I wish I had ordered the carbon like a friend of mine did. He ordered the carbon for his iPod mini and love it.

9. niter macrumors 6502

One other thing, if you get and iSkin, order an extra screen protector. They are cheap but the shipping is high as the company is in Canada. I managed to loose mine recently.