iPod Casing Warping

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by OziMac, Feb 15, 2004.

1. OziMac macrumors 6502

I have had my 40GB iPod for about 5 months. I have never had any problems with till now and have taken immaculate care of it. However, just recently I found that the left hand side of the steel backing had warped slightly such that it expanded beyond the borders of the white fronting, exposing a very tiny bit of the interior. It is a pretty solid warp too, can't be pushed in manually. Has anyone else had this kind of problem, is it linked to any particular cause or type of use, and can it be remedied, with or without sending it to a technician? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Re: iPod Casing Warping

Have you ever set it near heat source...heat vent, dash of car, is it used in your car and is it in front of the heat vent on the dash or defroster?

could it be from heat from battery?

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

rather odd, the materials are small enough (and strong enough) that precision engineering usually holds true for a long time. You're still under warranty, swap it.

paul

4. cmx08 macrumors regular

not

extreme heat is the only cause and the ipod can't be operate at such Temp

therefore, they will tell u that u used it beyond apple's recommendations

5. cmx08 macrumors regular

database

32 to 95 F operating
    -4 to 113 F storage Temp

6. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    are you sure someone hasnt accidentally dropped it when u werent looking?

7. imac_japan macrumors member

imac_japan

Same thing has happened to my 10 gb 3rd generation Ipod.....three times ! ON two different models.

I like the Ipod but Im not a happy customer.....what after one failed battery plus warping, I decided to send it back to Apple Japan who sent me a new one.

Then, while the new one has an excellent battery, I had to send it back for the casing to be fixed.

Now, it has happened again but this time, I have to pay Apple 3500 yen ($30 US) for postage.....Still under warranty !!!

8. OziMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. Trust me, I didn't put it through any exceedences or let anyone throw it around. It turns out it wasn't warping - I took it in to a service centre and they fixed it in seconds and didn't charge anything (though I am still under warranty). Apparently the metal casing can pop loose somehow, but it's not a big deal to fix.

9. OziMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Time for me to eat humble pie - within a couple of days, the iPod has re-popped itself loose. Maybe it is heat, as the weather here has been quite warm, or maybe it is pressure placed on the sides from holding it. Will either have to take it back to the service people again or find out exactly how to put it back in... not a big deal, but such a pain...

10. ravinboy macrumors newbie

I have a 10GB Ipod and have the same problems. Three weeks ago my Ipod was perfect, two weeks ago I noticed that the LEFT side of the metal caseing popped out a little bit, enough to expose some of the internals.

I don't get my Ipod near heat sources, and its been in Apple's black belt clip nearly all the time since I got it 6 months ago. I took it to the apple store in my area and the rep there pretty much just shrugged and said "does it still work?" and left it at that.

Not sure what I should do now. I guess Applecare is next...

11. OziMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, not sure how you ended up faring ravinboy - I eventually took mine back to the reseller from where I bought it and asked them to re-massage it. The service person looked at it and immediately said it had come out too far and would need to be replaced with parts from Apple Australia, with no charge since I'm still under warranty. He told me it would be ready by the next day. So I expected that I'd get a replacement rear case or something. I came back the next day and he gave me a brand new replacement iPod! So, in the end, I don't know if the problem will persist on this one, but I must say that I was fully satisfied with the way that they've dealt with it. Hope it goes equally well for others with the same problem too.

12. hothmeister macrumors newbie

Just had exactly the same problem here in Japan. Took my iPod back to the Apple store and they said it does happen, and can be clicked back in. Having said that they gave me the option of a new one which i glady accepted! So a happy customer all round! I'd only had it about a month too!

13. jigglyjon macrumors member

i had my 20gb iPod in my backpack overnight and i woke up to go to class... to my surprise it was WARPED..i was pissed but i had a final so i shrugged it off...now that i look at it i cant stand it...so I need to know what i can do without taking it in. I want a quick fix without taking it in.... if not i am off to the apple store.... i paid good money and i want a quality product...i love apple, but i want a good ipod :(

14. clr900 macrumors regular

This same thing has happened to my iPod. I keep in my backpack during school sometimes and if I have too many books it gets squished. I actually heard it happen once, it made a popping noise and when I took it out I noticed that the plastic part had pushed into the metal part on the left side. What I did was take a credit card and slide it into the exposed part and use a little leverage and it popped right back out. This has happened one time again and I just did the same thing. I gotta remember not to stuff my backpack so full!

15. jigglyjon macrumors member

i sorta did the same thing but i am still scared that it could happen again. I mean i only had two notebooks in it and it wasnt even heavy so i dont know how it could have snapped it out of place. oh well i am happy it is fixed but very cautious of where i keep it...:)

16. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

It's easy to fix that. Just shove ur nail into it and bend it up a bit and it snaps back into place.