iPod cause of increase in crime

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by iSaint, Apr 28, 2005.

1. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

CNN has the article

I've been a little more careful lately in displaying my iPod in public for fear of getting it lifted or my bookbag taken.

2. RonJ83 macrumors member

yea some dude try to hijack my ipod in the trainstation, gave him a trip to the hospital for his troubles

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i know that when i start taking the El in chicago to and from work that i will be careful with mine. there are some stupid and crazy people out there

4. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

I've got a pink mini. That is probably one of the least stolen ones because well.. it's pink. LOL. I love it.

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Did the iPod cause the crime increase?

Will we next see "Jewelry blamed for jewelry theft increase"?

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

of course the iPod didnt, its people wanting them when they can't afford 'em that causes the issue, and its even more complicated than that.....

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

Ha. Yes, I thought crime was caused by, well, criminals, not by the items they steal.

8. MmmPancakes macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

You beat me to it. As if the iPod is responsible for the increase in crime.

Its like saying all that cash was responsible for the bank heist. I'm sick of stories about iPod thefts..they almost read like promotional materials for Apple (this product is so hot even the thieves are snatching them up!). The bigger story is that you take your life in your hands everytime you board the SUbway...instead, the story has essentially become "those silly kids with their toys -- always stealing from each other!"

9. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

So does Rolex watches and Gucci handbags. What's the point? Thieves steal things of value that are easily fenced.

10. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Someone should go out there with a bar of soap in their pocket and plug the white earbuds into it. Then start riding subways... :D

11. iGary Guest

iGary

Beat me to it.

12. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I never once got my iPod stolen, or even touched or looked at by people on the NYC subways I take...

I love my shuffle - no one knows its an iPod... yet...

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

aren't you due for an avatar change? :p ;) :D

i wonder how the crime rate on chicago's el/subway system is compared to NYC..... i hope better..... i hope ill be safe this summer riding it.....

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Lazy journalism -- using the word 'iPod' in an article to give it a contemporary feel. The London papers are full of this kind of rubbish at the mo... opened the Sun this morning (found it on the tube), first headline I see is about a phone that's... guess what?

Another iPod killer.