iPOD Charger

Discussion in 'iPod' started by benthad, Jan 27, 2006.

1. benthad macrumors newbie

Apr 14, 2005
    I've just got a 30GB Video iPod and I'm going on holiday soon. I have a Blackberry (7100V) device and the charger for this came with universal sockets for travelling and also the charger uses a usb cable as the Blackberry can also be charger via USB2.

My question is this: Would I be able to use the Blackberry charger with my iPod using the iPods white connector cable plugged into the Blackberry charger to charge my iPod?

The voltage settings for the Blackberry charger are as follows:
    INPUT: 100-240V ~0.15A, 50-60Hz
    DC Output: +5.0V 0.5A

If I could this would be excellent as I'd be able to kill two birds with one stone so to speak.
  2. bartelby macrumors Core

Jun 16, 2004
    I have a Firewire charger that's 12v DC output.

Not sure about the USB2 one though.
  3. geekologist macrumors member

Jan 14, 2006
    Same Voltage?

As long as they are the same voltage then I think it would be ok. Ask a computer technician or someone who would know.
  4. benthad thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 14, 2005
    Thanks you guys for replying. I took the plunge and a bit of nerve and am pleased to say that I have killed two birds with one stone and not killed my iPod, i.e. I can charge my iPod with my Blackberry charger. The Blackberry charger seems to work ok, which is great news as I don't need to worry about buying an extra mains charger. I actually noticed on the back of the iPod (engraved) that it's rated 5-30V -- 1A max. So the Blackberry charger is well within limits.

Means I can travel a bit lighter.

Why don't all portable products suppost this? I know in my case this is unaffical , but it works. I wish some companies weren't so blimin greedy.
  5. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    USB is certainly convenient, but doesn't provide enough power to charge some devices quickly. Firewire had more oomph. :(

Example: I have a NIMH AA/AAA battery charger that will work off a USB port, but takes 3x longer than if you use the provided wall wart. The flexibility is nice, but the time isn't.