iPod Charging

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Caspa, Jun 29, 2003.

1. Caspa macrumors member

Hey all,

Just recently purchased a 15 gig iPod, and noticed that in the instructions it says that the computer needs to not be asleep for the iPod to charge. I own a powerbook 12" and when I have my computer asleep and iPod connected the iPod appears to actually charge. My question is, is the iPod actually charging at the same rate as it would if the computer was awake? Is it charging at all? And does the AC adapter charge at a higher/faster rate than through firewire, is it better to charge from AC when possible?

2. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i can't speak to the whole issue of whether the AC charges it faster or not. i would guess not, as it's probably designed to charge at a spec that both the firewire and the adaptor must meet. as for the charging while asleep, if the iPod says charging, it is charging. do you have it plugged in when it does this (the laptop, that is)?

3. Caspa thread starter macrumors member

Yep, thats with the laptop plugged in

4. Caspa thread starter macrumors member

Another thing which I've just noticed with it, after about 2 hours of charging it has said that it is charged. But after pulling it out of the dock and plugging it straight back in it has gone on and charged for another few hours (not sure how long exactly but over 2 at least). Anyone else experience this?

5. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

have you tried resetting the iPod as per apple's instructions?

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

well i use to charge through the wall but with the new ipods its little more difficult than that because i gotta go behind my computer and unplug the cable since the ipods use a new cable. it should take 3 hours to charge fully. if nots charging in that amount of time i would say go for the wall.

iJon

7. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

lol iJon, i got a spare cable for that reason, so i can keep one attached to the power supply. it's too bad, really....

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yeah thats what im gonna do too, i have just havent gotten around to taking one off the shelf.

iJon