iPod Claim Problem

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by EJBasile, Jun 3, 2005.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Hello everyone,

Alright...

I bought a 10gb iPod on Dec. 24, 2002 for myself. The next night it died- HD broke. I took it to the apple store on Dec 25, 2003 and got it replaced but I payed an extra $100 or w/e for the 20gb version. Then the iPods battery started to get hot, smell like burning plastic, and then stopped charging (battery failure). So then I got a replacement 3rd generation 20gb iPod on September 2, 2004

What I'm wondering is, am I eligible for a claim. The claim sheet says you had to bought or obtained the iPod before May 31, 2004. But I bought the first iPod in December 2002 and the ones after were replacements. The 4th generation iPods were released July 19, 2004. So did they start using newer batteries June 1 or did they just screw over those people. The thing is I've had my iPod for 10 monthes and the battery life sucks. I haven't even had it a year and the battery lasts not even 4 hours. I was driving to boston and had my iPod on, headphones on, and used it for less than an hour. I accedidently left it on for the hour and 15 min. that I was out of my car. I went back into my car went to turn on my iPod, realized it was already playing, and then it played for 5 min and then said the battery was too low and it shut off. So whats that- about 2hrs 20 min MAYBE a whopping 2hrs 30min.

I rarely use my iPod, most of the time its sitting in my desks drawer. Seriosuly on average I use it maybe 1 time a month at the most! When I did charge it up for my trip i let it charge over night- it said it was charged, but when I unplugged it it said 75% charged. Then when I started using it it went up to 100% but soo after it went back down to 75% and then lower.

I do make sure I use my batteries right. Charging them all the way up when new, then letting them get all the way used up, etc.

So I called apple, I was put on hold for 20min, I talked to some lady, she asked for my serial no- my serial number didn't match up with hers, maybe she was confused with one of the previous 2 that I had. I asked her about if I was eligible. I didn't even finish asking my question ("I am wondering if I am eligible because my first iPod was purchased...") and she told me to go to the website and all the answers are there in a rather rude tone in my opionion. So I said I did and shes like "Ok, bye".

I was thinking of getting my battery replaced since my warrenty is up on my iPod (if its even worth it- it will probably just break again) but this Claims Settlement thing has made me want to fight a little.

So this is my vent. I'm just wondering if I'm eligible for the replacement. The receipt for my 3rd iPod is an AppleCare Repair Confermation Sheet. It has my costomer info, product info (saying my 1st 20gb iPod was purchased on 12/26/2003- (not 12/24 because I upgraded)). Then theres the Parts and Service that has a 20gb iPod Unit replacement costing $249 but I was charged nothing because it is under warrenty. The paper is dated 9/2/04.

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Which number did you call? I want to ask them a question.. i bought a 3g and it broke they gave me a new one, but i can only find the paper work from the trade... will that work...?

3. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Thats sorta what I'm wondering too. I would assume so, it is a receipt.

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

sorta it just says that i got a new one... so i assume that its ok but i want to make sure before i sent it....