Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NiCk-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Hey guys, i'm desperate for some help here ... Basically i'm in a big dilemma in which model i'm going to buy from the two above ... I never had an iPod in my life before and i want to be sure that i won't make the wrong decision ...
I have a library with less than 3gb of songs in it, but i'm really worried that 16gb won't be enough for viewing videos also .. The iPod Touch really looks fantastic, and has a lot of nice features like Wi-Fi, Safari and Youtube but i will never probably use them ... You see, i'm from Greece and Wi-Fi isn't "everywhere" here ... At home, i have my MBP for surfing the net, and thus i have no use for the touch except for it's media capabilities .... The screen definitely is a huge plus, but apart from it everything else point towards the Classic ( which is also cheaper ) ..
Also i want to ask :

1. Is iPod Classic, good for watching videos on the go, or the screen is too small ??

2. Are you happy with the quality of the screen of the iPod Classic ?

3. Can i expect something more in the future for the iPod Touch from firmware updates ( like the iPhone ) ?

4. Is there any chance for a bigger ( e.g 32gb ) iPod Touch before the end of the year ???

5. For those who have an iPhone ... Which interface is best for playing songs ?? The one on the iPod Classic with the click wheel, or the one in the iPhone/iPod Touch with the touch screen ?

All help is appreciated ... Thanks

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia
there is no iPod classic that is 8GB in size....you might mean the iPod classic 80gb.....andi might be wrong here but i don't think anyone has an iPod Classic yet?

NiCk-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
there is no iPod classic that is 8GB in size....you might mean the iPod classic 80gb.....andi might be wrong here but i don't think anyone has an iPod Classic yet?

Yes, i'm sorry ... I meant the 80gb iPod Classic .. The questions about the screen of the iPod Classic can also be asked for the 5th gen model, because if i'm not mistaken nothing has changed on the resolution of the screen of the 5th gen iPod and the 6th gen ...

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia
i find the screen on my 5th gen fine. it doesn't bother me at all but i am definately getting an iPod touch...you just can't be safari etc. and the touch screen. i have already sold my 5th gen (i didnt it before the event)

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
You in my opinion are the perfect candidate for a Touch. You don't have many songs, so you can devote most of the remaining space to video. You shouldn't have a problem with space, especially if you get a 16GB. To your specific questions:

1. I can't tell from the Classic because I don't have one yet, but the video on the 5th gen. was managable. It wasn't great, fine for quick videos but I wouldn't want to watch a long movie on it. I'm sure people have, but the screen is too small to fully enjoy the movie.

2. See above :)

3. It's possible that Apple may update them, but i wouldn't really expect too much innovation from Apple with free updates. Maybe they'll sell apps on the iTMS? 3rd Party breakthroughs? Apple hasn't been one for updating software with new features generally (see the lack of adding search functionality to the early 5th gen iPods when the 5.5 gens were released).

4. There's a chance but don't hold your breath. Just buy and be happy honestly, you have very little to lose in your case ;)

5. I have used both and love both. For big libraries people have said that the click wheel is a better option, but you don't have that issue so I wouldn't worry. I think the Touch screen is more fun to use and will work just fine for you.

Hope that helped.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I have the 5G 60Gig model with a lot of videos.

The screen is fine, then I went to the store and saw the iPhone's...

Go Touch if you watch a lot of videos.

Oh for a 160Gig iPod Touch... :(

NiCk-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
I have the 5G 60Gig model with a lot of videos.

The screen is fine, then I went to the store and saw the iPhone's...

Go Touch if you watch a lot of videos.

Oh for a 160Gig iPod Touch... :(

I do not watch a lot of videos ... I will possibly upload a few "lost" and "prison break" episodes at a time and that's all ... I was on the edge of buying an iPod 5.5 back in August, but i waited for the event and now this happened !! :p On one hand, I want the iPod Classic for its massive size ( the 80gb one ... 160gb is way too much for me ! ) but on the other hand i love the look and the touch interface of the Touch .. 16gb is probably ideal for me, but i can't help thinking that i can buy the iPhone at the same price :p

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
16gb is probably ideal for me, but i can't help thinking that i can buy the iPhone at the same price :p

That's my logic... I have 40GB+ of music and have outgrown my current iPod. I plan on buying on an iPhone when it's available so it would be useless to have a Touch and an iPhone as they are very similar. If you only have that much music, why not get the 8GB nano and then buy an iPhone? (Unless you're not serious at all about buying the iPhone)

NiCk-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
That's my logic... I have 40GB+ of music and have outgrown my current iPod. I plan on buying on an iPhone when it's available so it would be useless to have a Touch and an iPhone as they are very similar. If you only have that much music, why not get the 8GB nano and then buy an iPhone? (Unless you're not serious at all about buying the iPhone)

I really like the iPhone, but unfortunately so far very few details are known for its availability in Greece ( date, provider, price etc ) ... In fact the only thing that we know so far, is that it will come some time in 2008 ...
The 8gb Nano is priced at the same price as the classic 80gb, so i prefer buying the classic instead of a Nano which i don't really like in its 3rd gen design and i don't mind sacrificing a few inches for 72gb :)

nylon

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2004
I'm waiting for slightly more storage on the touch before I dive in. 16GB is a little to light on the storage for me even though I am extremely tempted.

Hopefully next year will bring a 32GB model at which point I am sold. I'd also me extremely happy with a 16GB nano for the gym.

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
I do not watch a lot of videos ... I will possibly upload a few "lost" and "prison break" episodes at a time and that's all ... I was on the edge of buying an iPod 5.5 back in August, but i waited for the event and now this happened !! :p On one hand, I want the iPod Classic for its massive size ( the 80gb one ... 160gb is way too much for me ! ) but on the other hand i love the look and the touch interface of the Touch .. 16gb is probably ideal for me, but i can't help thinking that i can buy the iPhone at the same price :p

The overwhelming reason to get a Touch, other than "it's cool," is for video. Comparing the screens btwn iPhone and the regular/classic iPod, the iPhone (Touch's) is hands-down better for video.

If as you say you're not going to watch a lot of video, and will mainly use this for audio, go for the 80GB classic. Cheaper, and probably a better audio player due to the physical wheel controls (easier to use in your pocket). From what I've seen of others using them, the screen is OK enough for short video watching (I wouldn't use it to watch a movie).

NiCk-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
The overwhelming reason to get a Touch, other than "it's cool," is for video. Comparing the screens btwn iPhone and the regular/classic iPod, the iPhone (Touch's) is hands-down better for video.

If as you say you're not going to watch a lot of video, and will mainly use this for audio, go for the 80GB classic. Cheaper, and probably a better audio player due to the physical wheel controls (easier to use in your pocket). From what I've seen of others using them, the screen is OK enough for short video watching (I wouldn't use it to watch a movie).

I've come to the conclusion that i'll be buying the Classic mainly for the reason that i intend to buy an iPhone next year for all the extras that the Touch is offering ... As i said, i do not intend watching movies on my iPod regularly apart from few Lost episodes here and there ... Hopefully the screen will be good enough for this purpose ..

P.s. Thank you for answering everybody you have been really helpful !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.