iPod classic at Amazon on "pre-order".

Discussion in 'iPod' started by 15danielp, Oct 4, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

I've kept the iPod Classic in my shopping cart on Amazon for a week now, in anticipation of the device being discontinued rather then updated. Suddenly it went from "in stock" to "pre-order. Available October 5th."

I wonder what, if anything, this means.

2. macrumors 6502

Hm....10th anniversary edition iPod classic? If we're lucky!:D

3. thread starter macrumors regular

I hope so. I've been hanging on to my 5.5gen for 5(?) years now but it's on it's last legs. I would love a new iPod but haven't wanted to pay for 2 year old technology.

4. macrumors G4

Chundles

Probably hedging their bets this close to the announcement.

5. macrumors 68030

APlotdevice

You're right. They even changed the listing to say "seventh gen".

6. thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't notice it said 6th Gen earlier. That's interesting.

7. thread starter macrumors regular

So now I'm pretty sure it has always said 7th gen. And now the black version is in stock but the price dropped. The silver version is still on pre-order.

This is probably nothing, just wishful thinking.

8. macrumors member

ThePimento

As of this morning the "7th Generation - NEWEST MODEL" is listed as "In Stock."

9. macrumors 6502

wilsonlaidlaw

Gen 6 in the UK

Amazon UK is selling the Gen 6 as the "latest" but have recently cut prices.

I have been meaning to update the Gen 5.5 I use in my car for some time, now that I have updated the firmware on the Denison ICE Gateway 500 iPod link to the Porsche PCM 2.2 system. I think my gen 5.5 is at least 4 years old now, which is a good life for an iPod. I know some much older ones still work but I think they have lucky owners. Even if the Classic is dropped tomorrow, refurbs will be available for a long time on ePrey. I bought a Gen 6 refurb last year. it looked like new and works perfectly, apart from an occasional click between tracks when playing on a Pure i20 Digital output dock.

10. macrumors 65816

Its a done deal, Classic is remaining the same. I think they just did that for price adjustments in the event there is a new higher capacity one.