Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oscar98

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2015
No joke, sometimes a problem with the hard drives on these classics can be fixed by hitting it firmly on your hand or knee.
I tried that. Whacked it on my knee and it came back to life. Nice, thanks for the advice. It was previously stuck in limbo rebooting continuously. A few times it would get stuck with error msg do not disconnect"

momo034

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2016
Hey guys,

I am interested to buy a used Ipod, but I had them show the diagnostics and it has only 109 Power On hours but 40,000 Starts/stops. How can that be? Does power on house really mean the number of hours that it was on and running? Does starts stops really mean the number of times it was turned on? Does this seem fishy to have such contraditing numbers?

It also has only 3 retracts, no reallocats, and one pending sector....should the one pending sector make me nervous?

Thanks for the help!

-Marie

alanlau007

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
Irvine
I have a 2007 160GB iPod Classic. It's showing a little sign of hard drive failure but still usable. However, the battery needs to be replaced.

So if I take it to Apple and request a battery replacement, do they actually replace the battery or give me another iPod? Is the replacement unit going to be the same model or a 2009 model (7th Gen)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.