Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleDroid1008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2012
Many people have speculated that the classic is dead, or on it's way out. Although I can not argue with the decline of it's popularity due mostly to newer iOS device(iPhone/iTouch) but in my opinion not only does the classic still have potential there can be vast improvements herere some improvements which I think could not only keep the classic going but also make it more desirable.

-bigger screen: maybe similar to the design of the zune, there is a lot of unused real estate on all the iPod models. You could easily increase the screen size with out bulking up the device

-More or less disk space:. More for the people that need it but less to keep cost down for the people who don't.

-iOS light:, ability to run some applications like pandora, shazaam etc

-wifi/3g:, sure this is not a smart phone, but why not stream media

-touch screen+ click wheel: If they can make a touch screen work on a nano they surely can make it work on a 2 inch screen. I like both touch and click wheel. When I am driving I find it easier to navigate on a touch, however it's nice to skip the song with out having to turn on my ipod touch and double tap on the home button to skip to a track

-iPod touch icons:eh why not

-blue tooth:

I doubt we will ever see these changes, I believe that Apple is really trying to push iPhone's more than anything. I really don't want to see the classic go, or even stay stagnant.

chibiterasu

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
London, The United Kingdom
You have slightly decribed an ipod touch and here's why

1. Ipod touch has a bigger screen and the ipod classic will never get as big as 3.5 inches. The zune was desinged to compete with the ipod touch.

2. Ipod touch comes in different sizes but it would be nice to see more than 64gb and for less money.

3. When you introduce apps people will be like why can't I play this game and there will be confusion between the two product lines.

4. It won't even meet its current price point with wifi (maybe with less storage it would) and 3G add a £100 or $100 usd. Too much.

5. If you wanted a biger screen click wheel has to be gone. You don't have to turn it on if your driving leave it unlocked and just press skip.

6. Fair point so you could use wireless headphones would be be good to see in a future update.

With you last statement I think your probably right unfortunately.

Tobias Funke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2012
As a music player it is unparalleled in my opinion.

Yes it may not be a multi media ultimate gadget internet camera device.

But when I go on holiday and want to take all my music its the 1st thing I pick up. :D

I would like the HD to be swapped for maybe a 200GB SSD. :cool:

Ckeifree

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2012
Hong Kong
For me, I prefer these changes to the new iPod classic if Apple will make any renew:

- slimmer body with same shape
- bigger screen, such as 3.0", and using LED/IPS screen
- changing HDD to SDD or as same as those in iPhone
- capacity can be around 128GB to 256GB , up to you
- with some useful apps, like Whatsapp, Calender and small tools and wifi is available
- faster processor
- better EQ

I think that will be much more attractive, for those who pursuits sound quality like me.

chibiterasu

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
I agree you want a music player you buy a classic :)
But do you realize how expensive a 128GB or 256GB SSD. A 128GB solid state player in roughly the same form factor would cost at least twice the current 160gb HD player then would you buy it??? I don't think so. The classic is brilliant for its price per GB and that's why people buy it. The classic already has a calander so thats one problem solved. do you know how much power wifi takes?? I love my classic cause unlike my iphone and ipod touches that I've had in the past it doesn't need charging all the time. If you want a screen of 3.0" then an iPod touch has a 3.5" so thats that problem sloved. You said
for those who pursuits sound quality like me.
You know the ipod touch actually sounds better and has a better EQ than the classic (and has no stupid volume limit in the E.U) ?? If you were a purist you would have a touch. People have a classic so we can carry more music with them I don't care about sound quality that much its all coming ear buds (unless you spend a lot of money on a great pair of headphones)

Last edited:

yateseyd1991

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2011
UK
Just bring back the Wolfson audio chip found in the 5th Gen Classic. Sorted

:apple: iPhone 4S 32GB White, iPad 3 16GB Black, iPod Nano 6th Gen 8GB, iPod Classic 5.5 Gen 30GB, Shure SE425's :apple:

Rawkfist

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
Texas
Just bring back the Wolfson audio chip found in the 5th Gen Classic. Sorted

:apple: iPhone 4S 32GB White, iPad 3 16GB Black, iPod Nano 6th Gen 8GB, iPod Classic 5.5 Gen 30GB, Shure SE425's :apple:

What they said.
Add larger capacity, SSD or mechanical, and you have a music player that would be the new benchmark.

Ckeifree

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2012
Hong Kong
I agree you want a music player you buy a classic :)
But do you realize how expensive a 128GB or 256GB SSD. A 128GB solid state player in roughly the same form factor would cost at least twice the current 160gb HD player then would you buy it??? I don't think so. The classic is brilliant for its price per GB and that's why people buy it. The classic already has a calander so thats one problem solved. do you know how much power wifi takes?? I love my classic cause unlike my iphone and ipod touches that I've had in the past it doesn't need charging all the time. If you want a screen of 3.0" then an iPod touch has a 3.5" so thats that problem sloved. You said
You know the ipod touch actually sounds better and has a better EQ than the classic (and has no stupid volume limit in the E.U) ?? If you were a purist you would have a touch. People have a classic so we can carry more music with them I don't care about sound quality that much its all coming ear buds (unless you spend a lot of money on a great pair of headphones)

Yes, I notice 256GB SDD will be very expensive, but the price of 128GB SSD seems acceptable. For 3.0", it is actually not too big but helps look better.
Moreover, I know ipod touch sounds good and maybe better than ipod classic. But what i want to say is the capacity. For larger capacity, more WAV files I can put in. And of course, headphone is importanT, but sometimes source is also a main point.

chibiterasu

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
Features seem to be more important to the vast majority than sound quality.. Pretty sad if you ask me

Not with a classic its about carrying the most songs you can and listing to them wherever you are with great battery life, sound quality and a great price per GB. The iPod touch has features that everyone wants but not the battery life or the excellent price per GB as the classic. A 32GB iPod touch costs more than the 160GB classic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.