iPod Classic & iPod Hi-Fi

Discussion in 'iPod' started by wd89, May 17, 2011.

1. macrumors member

I'm getting a little confused on the internet as to which generation the current iPod classic is so I'm hoping you can help me here!

I have an iPod Hi-Fi and I'm aware that certain "newer" iPods no longer charge whilst being in the dock on top. Does the current iPod classic that you can buy at an Apple Store today charge whilst playing through the iPod Hi-Fi? Thanks.

2. macrumors member

most any ipod will charge while on a dock, be it a Hifi or something else. you might have a connection issue or it may be the HIfi's problem. i have a dock and it charges my classic, and touch while playing just fine.

3. thread starter macrumors member

As it doesn't mention the iPod classic, I was simply wondering if anyone knows if it charges whilst playing as my iPod touch (1st generation) does but my friends iPhone doesn't. The Apple support document is hardly informative.

4. macrumors 65816

AQUADock

yes it should, I have an old firewire dock and my 1st generation touch charges.

5. macrumors 6502

Ingster

The current classic (6th gen) won't charge with the iPod hifi, as FireWire charging was removed from that generation on, it will however play music fine. To get around this you can buy a 3 rd party adapter which will reroute the charging pin to the USB pin in the iPod.

Note standard apple docks (which the other poster is talking about) will still charge as it uses both the USB pin to charge as well as the FireWire pin

6. macrumors 6502

iPods with FW charging:

Classic up to 6th gen (80GB and thick 160GB only. 120GB and current 160GB are USB charging)
    Nano up to 3rd gen
    Touch 1st gen

Anything newer than that won't charge on it.

7. macrumors 6502

Ingster