iPod Classic loud hard drive?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by hauntedcity, Oct 20, 2007.

1. macrumors member

May 4, 2007
    Is it common to have a noisy hard drive in a 160 GB iPod Classic? I can hear the hard drive spin up when selecting tracks, and I can actually feel a slight vibration, too.

This was a replacement for a 4th Gen iPod Photo (60GB), and I never heard or felt a thing in the older iPod.

2. macrumors newbie

Sep 17, 2007
    I just got an 80gb classic yesterday to replace my old 4G 20gb ipod and compared to that it's rather quiet. :cool:
  3. thread starter macrumors member

May 4, 2007
    Any suggestions on the best way to handle this? I know I can call Support, and they would send a box for me to mail it back to them. However, I'm leaving on vacation in a couple of weeks, and I wouldn't want to be without the iPod (just as I would not like it to die while on vacaton, as well). I purchased online, but could I take it to an Apple Store and have them look at it?

4. macrumors newbie

Feb 9, 2008
    IPod Classic 160

I had a 4th generation, IPod 40 gig that died unexpectedly back in September (I had been viewing and drooling over the IPod 160... I guess my 40gig decided to kill itself)

I bought the IPod 160 and I have been noticing an INCREASING chirp from the hard drive... VERY audible. Today, I received an "IPod not found" error message, which led automatically to my IPod being restored.

The chirp is still there... I use my IPod a moderate amount and have NOT dropped... I am concerned that THIS drive may be dying...

Anyone else with this problem???

5. macrumors 65816

Nov 19, 2004
    Sounds like the hard drive is about to die if it's really loud. I'd call AppleCare.