iPod Classic questions and advice

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ordo1980, Sep 7, 2007.

1. macrumors member

Aug 28, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Okay, so this will be my first iPod ever. I'm planning to get the 80gb Classic. I also plan to get a new MacBook. :D
    So... while the older 5.5g works for my sister even though she has USB 1.1 (windows machine) and it's much slower, I only have a 1.1 myself (same windows machine), will this Classic work okay on that? I know it will be slow, but will it at least work for right now? I won't have to worry about USBs on the MacBook obviously, but I need to make sure it'll work on my current HP (heaping pile) notebook, since I won't upgrade to the MacBook until HOPEFULLY this Christmas, or in January. (when all Leopard kinks and updates to the MacBook are done... and I've saved up the money! lol) :rolleyes:
    I already ordered my invisible shield for the classic, and I plan on getting one as soon as they hit Best Buy, so hopefully that will be soon. ...and hopefully it'll work on 1.1. I'm hyped though, cuz I'm also getting a shuffle for running. :apple:
    Anyways, I have a few more questions, but I think this will suffice for my first round of questions, help please?
  2. macrumors member

Jul 20, 2007
    From what I have seen, it should work fine. It will just take a lot longer to transfer files.
  3. thread starter macrumors member

Aug 28, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA

Alright, sounds good, thanks. now what about synching two different devices on iTunes. Obviously I want to sync my whole library to my Classic, but what do I do for my Shuffle. Just don't let it auto-sync (i'm guessing from what i've read) and just manually transfer lists, etc.? And what is the best file format for sound quality, and bitrate? I've just always been old-school (since i've never had an iPod), so all my music is ripped to regular mp3 128bit. Do i re-rip my collection to a different format do you think? and bit rate? which is the best? I'm mainly going to be listening on headphones (which I need a new pair, mainly for walking around and running) and/or in my car. advice for this now anyone? What do you guys do and why?
  4. macrumors newbie

Sep 5, 2007
    I do 192 at a minimum, usually vbr. A private torrent site I'm on accepts nothing less than that quality, and anything lower sounds like crap to me.
  5. macrumors P6

Jul 17, 2005
    5045 feet above sea level
    and alot means alot. i transferred 30gig on my ipod via 1.1 and it took 12 hrs
  6. Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    No need. Set up separate playslists and auto-sync only selected playlists to each device. Works fine for the 5 iPods that sync to my library.

Also, USB 1.1 provides much less power to the device than 2.0, so you may have a hard time keeping the battery charged if you don't occasionally connect it to a charger or USB 2.0 port.