iPod Classic

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Jalexster, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

I really want an old fashioned 1G or 2G iPod. I just like the design. However, I don't want a second-hand or refurb one. I'd like a brand new one. Maybe with new firmware and more storage space (Like 20 and 40 GB).

In other words, I'd like to Apple to release an iPod Classic. A new iPod, with the old design. I'd even like one with a mechanical wheel. And the buttons around the edge. Just something with the old design. The extra thickness and everything. Maybe they could stick a Dock connector down the bottom, and include a remote port on the top, so it's compatible with all the new add-ons.

They could possibly include a Firewire port up the top aswell, to preserve the oldfashinoned feel.

What do you all think?

2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Thats not going to happen.

The whole point of 3 generation or later iPods is to be smaller, lighter, better looking, more hard drive space, and have better battery life. (excluding the 3rd gen)

Making a classic iPod would be a step back from that.

(and if you still don't see my point, try switching from 10.3 to 8.6. It's like that)

3. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I think the closest you will come is you buying a used 5GB iPod, and upgrading the HD yourself... (I dont' even know if that's possible).

Beyond that, don't hold your breath. ;)

4. Apmonia macrumors regular

Perhaps in the future Apple "might" do this, but in the computer industry, newer is always better. Unlike the gaming industry (the new Gameboy Advanced Classic?), the computer industry doesn't like to visit it's past mainly because the older technology didn't look that good or wasn't as useful as the new equipment. I agree with michaelrjohnson on this one: buy an older, used 1G or 2G iPod and upgrade the hard drive yourself. The only place I have seen that might have larger hard drives for iPods is www.ipodmods.com . I haven't done a lot of research on the subject, so there might be more out there, but at least that would give you a good starting point.

Apmonia

5. Jalexster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Buying an old iPod is something I don't want to do, but there was something, special about the old design.

The new ones don't look as "good", because of the style. They still look great, but not as great.

6. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i love my original iPod... if the darn thing would work. i always get the sad folder with the exclamation point... :(

7. aptmunich macrumors member

No it's not! I have tried both models (2nd and 3rd gen) and in my opinion the 2nd gen ipod was better in many respects than the 3rd gen... so a 'classic' ipod wouldn't be that big of a step back...

Here's why the gen 3 didn't completly overtake the gen2:

-Better battery life (fixed in gen 4)
    -better button placement (fixed in gen 4)
    -more stable firmware (time will tell with gen 4, but my gen2 never crashed while the gen3 did)
    -Ability to be used whilst inside a pocket (and i don't mean the remote!) without looking...(you could scroll through material due to the touch sensitive wheel, and could also feel the buttons and manipulate them)

I think the gen3 only had a handful of new features and the thinner size in it's favour. The gen4 however combines the best of both worlds.

In my opinion the gen2 is actually only 1 generation obsolete...(kind of anyway!)

At any rate, i'm glad i resisted the itch to actually buy a gen 3! (just borrowed one for a while)

8. m.r.m. macrumors regular

i´d love the 2nd gen. ipod design at the technology level of today (size, hdd capacity, features). that would be the ultimate ipod for me. i do think they used to look nicer, but i switched from gen. 2 to 3 last year, because of the bigger hdd.

9. wowoah macrumors regular

Wanna buy mine?

I have a gen2 10GB ipod in perfect working condition with some normal external wear and tear that I would consider selling to someone at a reasonable price, if any of you nostalgic people are interested! :)

10. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

How much money are you looking for?

11. Jalexster thread starter macrumors 6502a

As I said, I really don't want a second hand or refurb one. I have a kind of, problem, with other people's things. I can't really explain it.

12. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I think I understand, you want one that's *yours* that you opened first, not someone else, yes? I don't like buying things used either, but sometimes I have no choice (¥-wise)

I have the original 5gig iPod and it's still going. The battery isn't what it used to be, but I just recharge it every-other day and it keeps working. I don't think I'll be upgrading until the one I have now breaks completely.

I think your best bet would be eBay. There must be someone selling an original unopened one, just keep looking.

13. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I like the design of the original iPod myself. I really loved the scrollwheel on the 5gb iPod that actually moved. Personally, I think apple took a step backward by adding a touch-sensitive trackpad-like wheel.