ipod click wheel problem

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tim2006, Aug 4, 2006.

?

ipod

1. keep it

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. return it and use the 4g as long as it works

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. tim2006 macrumors 6502

my 4g ipod click wheel no longer works cant flip thru songs. i need to replace it not interested in nano. will there be a refersh in the next month. and if so will it be dramatic. minor changes dont bother me but if they are doing a touch screen instead of a click wheel I am try to wait. i use my ipod in my car and there will be no tunes with out it.

my noncolor 4g ipod stopped working a few days ago the click wheel would not scroll. now it works again, no problems. I picked up a black ipod video from target but have not opened it up yet because i was waiting for todays keynote. dont know what to do, the new ipod is tempting to keep. should i keep it or return it.

I have a 4g ipod and some times when it wakes up the click wheel does not work. you cannot click thru songs up and down. when i reset the ipod it works again. anyone know what is wrong. is it broken. if so I will buy a new one if not I will wait for an ipod update. comments?

i have a 4g ipod and the click wheel has stopped working and when it does work does not always play the song that is selected. it is not yet 2 yrs old. i guess i will replace it with a video ipod. i wanted to wait for the next rev being that the current ipod has been out for a while now. how long do ipods generally last? i dont want to replace this thing every year. iam pretty easy on it use it in the car with imonster only. comments.

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Nobody here knows what will happen with iPods, or anything else, for that matter. If you need one now, buy one. If not, wait till next Tuesday to see if anything is announced. Or, wait till Paris Expo in September.

3. Frisco macrumors 68020

Well it is definitely in line for an update soon. I am thinking late October/early November. Most think it will be a major update. Touchscreen/Video iPod like you suggested. I would definitely wait.

In the meantime for music, why not just get a cheap Shuffle?

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

it will be one year this october since the iPods have seen a major update. perhaps something will be announced next week but that's not as a likely as sept/oct.

like gauchogolfer said, if you need it, buy it. otherwise, wait.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is it wet or do you have wet fingers? Mine acts like this if I'm a bit sweaty (running) or if it's raining. Also, have you tried resetting the iPod by holding the top of the clickwheel and the centre button down for a little while? This can sometimes resolve software-side problems. :)

6. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

7. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Open it. You'll never win with the waiting game!

8. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I would return it, because the ipods will probably be updated come October (think iphone and true video ipods, as well as a 10 GB Magnesium nano :D )

9. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

i'd keep it.. it's a huge improvement over your current one.. so what if new iPods might be coming? no one knows for sure.. you may end up waiting forever!

10. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

If you use your iPod for music, and not much else then keep the 4G. I have a 4G and I love it.

11. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I'm pretty sure apple will update ipods at some point, they'd be foolish not to...

12. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

ta.. but if he's always waiting for the next best...

13. indigoflowAS macrumors 6502

indigoflowAS

I've had the 3G iPod and the 4G iPod...both have ended up replaced within about 12 months (battery for the previous and harddrive for the latter). My 5G Video had a life of 6 months with me...Until I lost it!! :mad: Now has a cozy life w/ a new owner (I'm bitter, can you tell?):)

So what I'm saying is...in my experience...not getting that long a lifespan, unfortunately. But I'm with you...I'm waiting for the next revision to get a replacement for my neglegence.

Peace.

14. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I'm sitting here listening to my 3.5 year old 2G. :p

15. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

16. Powermax macrumors regular

I've been using my 4G iPod for almost two years now. :)
    Little iPod Shuffle Baby came a couple of month ago.

17. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

G4 Ipod 2 years, then died on its arse. Clicking sound, dead hard drive I think. :(

18. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

i've had my 4G iPod for about 1 and half years so far.. for a little while the click wheel had a "dead" spot.. but somehow that fixed itself? who knows.. who cares really as long as it's still going strong.. :p

19. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Does it do this every time? That happened to me, and eventually it got so bad I had to get it replaced. If it has been a year since you got it, or if you have Apple Care, you might want to get it replaced.