iPod Compatibility Questions

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by FloppyLlama, Nov 26, 2003.

1. FloppyLlama macrumors newbie

My friend just got a new iPod and gave me his old 10gb one (very generous guy:)) but just the unit itself. It’s the older style (version 1.3 it says) with the menu, play/pause, forward, and back buttons surrounding the center dial thing and not above it. The only port I see besides the headphone jack is the firewire port, so I’ll obviously need to pickup a firewire card and cable. Does the brand matter, or will anything work? And what software do I need to sync it? He said something about windows iTunes causing 10gb older models to stop functioning, is he right or can I just use windows iTunes? And do I need a charger? I see apple sells an A/C adaptor on their site, but will it power itself through the firewire? And is there an online manual or something? I have very little idea of how to work it since he lives pretty far away and I never saw him with it. Thanks for any help.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Any FireWire card and cable will work (as long as the packaging has the logo it should have gone through the certiffication process). iTunes for Windows should work, it it does not you need to get the special version of Music Match instead.

If you have 6 pin FireWire ports (not 4 pin) and 6 pin - 6 pin cables it should charge itself over the firewire connection.

3. FloppyLlama thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm borrowing a cable and card from a friend right now, and have itunes installed. But now it says I need the iPod software. I tried using the one on apple's site, but it appears to just be an updator and itunes says I need to install the software. Where can I get this since I don't have the CD?

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Is this the software you tried to download? The system requirements don't list a requirement of a previous version of the software.

5. FloppyLlama thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I managed to get it to work somehow. Awsome little thing this is.

One more question though. How do I go about adding in contacts and calendar events?

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Not sure but I think you might need to be on a Mac for this to work!