iPod competitor from ex-Apple employees

Discussion in 'iPod' started by maxterpiece, Feb 28, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

nytimes link

I know there seems to be a new iPod competitor popping up every week, but this one is a little more interesting. It has software that is supposedly pretty neat, built by ex-apple employees, and was designed by an ex-apple employee who was involved in the Newton project.

It gets 35 (!!!) hours of battery life, looks pretty nice, and has a 1.8" color screen. It is pretty small (nano sized).

It is compatible with microsoft playsforsure - no integrated store like ITMS, but i'd say it's the best thing I've seen from an iPod competitor.

It is manufactured by Samsung.

[​IMG]

2. macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

Looks nice to me... but it's not an iPod. Apple has the MP3 Player market locked

[EDIT] ... sorry, didn't know it was that annoying to you all

3. macrumors 68000

Do we really need to quote the whole huge graphic post for a one line response? It's becoming a larger pet peeve of mine every day.

Back OT, I suppose it is nice, but the biggest drawback to any non-Apple MP3 player is a lack of ITMS support. Yes, I know you could buy the songs, burn them and then re-import them, but you would lose quality and take three steps instead of one.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

very true and i believe this is the reason apple will maintain a lock on the mp3 player market. taht being said, i think this is the first iPod competitor that, ignoring the lack of ITMS connection, i might consider buying.

One thing I think people on here always say about the iPod is how solid and well made it looks. Just looking at the image, I think this samsung shares that quality.

5. macrumors 604

zap2

is that a Square Click Wheel?

6. macrumors 65816

ipacmm

It does look like one...I saw the OS and it does look like a lot like the iPod interface.

7. macrumors regular

Personally I feel like the more competitors there are out there to muddy the non-iPod waters, the better for Apple it is. Plus, knowing there's always someone biting at their heels, Apple will keep up on making the iPod better and better.

8. macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Are there any images or videos showing off the software?

It looks pretty good but still not as good as an iPod. The biggest obstacle for competitors to the iPod now is that the iPod brand is just so ubiquitous. People don't even say "I want an MP3 player" anymore, they say "I want an iPod". It's going to be hard to break into that

9. macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

It looks very nice, just like everything else samsung makes. I don't think I will get one, but it may gain some decent popularity.

10. macrumors regular

while i'm sure this product is quite 'nice', i don't know, i can't help but feel dirty looking at it. it somehow just lacks that uniqueness of aesthetic that has made the ipod so notorious. as far as i'm concerned, the portable music player market is basically comprised of ipods and then everything else. and so far, on the 'everything else' side, i have yet to come across something that seems even a remotely apt rival for the ipod. but maybe that's just me. :rolleyes:

11. macrumors regular

If I were in the market for a non-like mp3, I'd have to hold one/check it out 1st person, but this would certianly be "in the running", for me... I dislike the vast expanses of wasted faceplate space that seems to be vogue w/ ipods. I like my wheels (squares?) bigger. I don't care about the screen being 3:2 (or whatever it is) if I can get a bigger screen. I dont mind rotating it (assuming the software's smart enough to accomodate for that).

I say GL Samsung, looking good.

12. macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

lol, I wonder what all your comments would be if this had been posted "new iPod killer from Samsung!"

13. macrumors newbie

The thing about Apple design is that there are no visible screws, like that bad boy. It's that Apple design that sold me... So minimalistic and clean

14. macrumors member

InfiniteLoop1

its simply a square version of the iPod
    but really the iPod has become much more than a cool MP3 player, its a fashion statement. The whole white ear-bud thing works, you can pick out the iPod users from the non-iPod users. Alot of sad people out there are buying iPod's cos they're fashionable, and as another poster mentioned its going to be very hard to break that!
    it makes me laugh when i see a cheap MP3 player with nasty low-quality headphones that are white, just to look like its an iPod

15. macrumors regular

Must.Get.nano!

SQUARE indeend:)

16. macrumors G3

bigandy

why do people keep trying to reinvent the wheel?

17. thread starter macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

david pogue update

pogue reviewed a Z5 for the NYT recently link.

The article is titled "almost an ipod, but in the end a samsung".

some good excerpts for you lazy folks:

18. macrumors 6502a

carve

ha-ha-larious!!!

why would anybody buy this it's a total fake...he works for samsung and he's trying to drum up some buisiness for them!:) :p

19. macrumors 6502

what's up w/ that guy in the photo? dweeb-like! :D

20. macrumors 68020

killuminati

Way to be open minded :rolleyes:

I think it's OK, but my one problem with all other MP3 players is the lack of a click wheel. The wheel just makes browsing so unbelievably easy, and I'm assuming nobody else has done that because apple has patented it. But if other companies could, maybe I would have to shop around a bit before deciding to get another ipod.

21. macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I try :D