iPod Costumes/Supplies.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Capt Underpants, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Hello people at MacRumors. This year for Halloween, I feel like dressing up as an iPod. My dilemma: (1) Does anyone know where I can get an iPod costume? If not, I was figuring on making my own iPod costume and will need a really big box. Anyone know of a website where I can get a really big box? I've searched on google, but you have to buy big boxes in groups of 15 or 20, which would be way too expensive, not to mention the extra boxes I would have lying around. I thought about going to some stores and asking for boxes, and I will if it comes down to it, but I want a fresh smelling box. I was figuring on buying some silver paint for the back and coloring the buttons with orange markers. Then I would make a couple of circles for the scroll wheel and figure out how to do the screen when I got around to it. Is it worth it? I think it would be cool to dress up as an iPod.

It would also be nice if anyone had a picture of an iPod costume that they made (if there are people as crazy as me).

Thanks,

Captain Underpants

2. Capt Underpants thread starter macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I guess nobody wants to help me with my costume.... :( :( :mad:

3. Tequila Grandma macrumors regular

Go to a Mailboxes Etc. (or a "UPS Store"), and buy a box there. I personally think this is an utterly delightful idea for a costume, although it's not terribly frightening ;)

I think you should give it a smiley face on the screen :)

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

the box you'll need will be very specific dimensions.. you don't want to wind up looking like a cube or a cellphone. many boxes are adjustable to fit intended contents, and you can always do it yourself... find something roughly close, a half hour of folding and taping should do it. it's best to just adjust the depth of the flaps, not the entire box, as you'll wind up with too many corners and too flexible sides. still, adjusting the depth of the box would help some...

are you covering the back with tinfoil? ;) actually some metal tape (for ducts, not duct tape tho) should do a good job without being so fragile... you could get a reasonably reflective surface...

i'm seeing definite possibilities... you could print out a large iPod display, with some holiday-related songs or something.

do send pics!

pnw

5. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

my idea was posted before you! haha! lol. im just kidding. check it out here.

you should
    -shiny back (tin foil)
    -battery life painted onto the screen
    -backlit screen and buttons to see better (plus you don't have to look as hard for paint)
    -headphone jack/remote/hold switch

we can even have a contest between the two of us to see who would make a better iPod!

6. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

it says you posted yours the day after this one was posted, man....

you could enlarge this and print it on a qod-awfully massive sheet of cardboard at a kinko's plotter.... [​IMG]

7. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

oops. my mistake. i had the idea first though;)

8. Capt Underpants thread starter macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Thanks you all for those ideas... I would've never thought of the tin foil on the back.

Capt Underpants