iPod 'cradle drain'?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by m_gear, Dec 25, 2003.

1. m_gear macrumors newbie

Canada, the home of RIAA-free filesharing! ^_^
    I remember awhile back when I had an original Palm Pilot, there was a problem called 'cradle drain'. It was caused by the palm emptying its batteries thru the serial cable on the dock/cradle, and burning your batteries out extra-fast. I was wondering if the newer iPods suffer the same type of drain? Will my ipod's battery drain if I leave it in the dock while my computer is off, say, overnight, or does it 'know' that power shouldn't be wasted that way, and is ok to leave plugged in?

2. iPopo macrumors newbie

Your iPod's battery life will decrease (but not that much) if there is no juice flowing in and it being in a considerably cold environment.

3. m_gear thread starter macrumors newbie

Canada, the home of RIAA-free filesharing! ^_^
    hahaha, actually that's kinda funny considering I live in Canada. I have a bad habit of leaving my iPod in my freezing cold car, at which point the screen starts acting wierd (contrast goes off), and the battery displays about 1/4 to 1/2 charge, but then bumps up to full again once it gets warm. I don't think cold is really a problem tho. I was wondering if possibly my computer would suck the charge out of the pod somehow when it's turned off.