iPod Crash

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by TheFallGuy, Dec 8, 2003.

1. TheFallGuy macrumors member

TheFallGuy

This morning my iPod gave me a tremendous scare.

I turned it on and started to listen to a song. At that point, I pushed the back button to start the song over and it "froze". I followed the instructions in the manual to put it on hold then to turn it back (off-hold) and held the play/pause button for a while (more than 5 seconds) and nothing happened. So I unplugged from the wall and tried hooking up to my laptop. iTunes would not even see it.

The iPod itself was getting really warm and I could hear the internal parts whirring and stuff (louder than normal).

Finally, after about a half hour or so the iPod ran mostly out of power. I still have all of my music on there, but I've been a little scared to use it since.

I bought this September 17th so it's within the 90 day warranty. I haven't dropped it or abused it in any fashion. I've been really careful with it. Is this a normal thing (I assume not)?

Should I contact Apple about this? Or is this a problem that occurs every once in a while with iPods? Help me please. Thank you!

2. MacBoyX macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

Re: iPod Crash

Is it stuck at the apple screen? I had a friend's the other day do that and to unlock it we had to (according to apple's support site)

Turn the Hold ON then off.

Press and hold the menu and play until the apple logo shows and then immediately hold the << and >> buttons until it resets. You may have to restore the software as Apple said that we some how corrupted the OS on the iPod.

Hope that helps.

macboyX

3. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I've noticed that my iPod doesn't like it too much sometimes if I give it too many instructions too fast. Like play-no wait skip back to the beginning-oh heck skip the song entirely-pause-no wait I meant play.

Usually a simple reset via holding the menu and play buttons puts it right (on a 2nd gen scrollwheel iPod). Whatever the reset is on the newfangled iPods might work, though it sounds like you tried that already.

If your iPod runs out of power entirely, that would reset it as well. Charge it up and see; if that and resetting doesn't work take it in. If it's still under warranty, Apple should fix it.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Actually, I believe the reset on the new iPods is the same as the old ones (Menu+Play for 5 seconds) except that you have to flip the hold switch on then off first. That has fixed my iPod the one or two times it's frozen up on me, and yes it does usually spin and get hot like that if I leave it frozen.

JW