iPod crashing my computer

Discussion in 'iPod' started by TyWahn, Sep 23, 2005.

1. TyWahn macrumors 6502

TyWahn

I think my new iPod 20GB is causing my computer to crash.
    I mean it does a number... (Finder not responding) then after forcing relaunch, the Finder never comes back up.. I have to resort to the old 3-finger salute!
    At least I think it is my iPod, because I hear the pod spinning up, then BOOM .. beach ball of death!!
    In 4 years, I have not had as many total crashes as I have has since I got this thing. It worries me. Anybody else have a problem like this?
    I have a 1 GHz G4 17 in. iMac ... 20GB Color iPod hooked up via FireWire..
    (running 10.4.2, iTunes 5.0.1, iPod 1.2)
    Thanks as always!

2. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Have you tried USB? Worth a shot to see what occurs :)

3. TyWahn thread starter macrumors 6502

TyWahn

Unfortunately my iMac is the model right BEFORE USB 2... :(

4. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Try repairing disk permissions in disk utility.

Have you used the iPod before on the computer or has it always been crashing?

Another idea is to reset the iPod, look at the manual that came with the iPod on how to do that :)

5. aplasticspork macrumors regular

something similar happened to me before, i got 7 kernel panics in one night, they would happen whenever i plugged my ipod in. i ended up fixing it by booting from the install cd, then plugging in the ipod, and repairing some major damage on the ipod HD with disk utility. i had to repair it five times before it got it right. worth a shot, if it still has problems then...ummmmmm...i have no idea :p

-andrzej

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Does it work properly if you simply unplug the iPod after it's crashed?

7. TyWahn thread starter macrumors 6502

TyWahn

yes .. even though is says "Do not disconnect" i do it, and hello! It all comes back to life!

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I had the same problem when I was trying to update a lot of music on my 4G iPod. I ended up getting around it by pulling it from the dock (unplugging it) each time it crashed. Waiting for it to cool down, and then starting again.

I tried deleting iTunes and iPod preferences, but to no avail. I thought it was just because my iPod is getting pretty old and the hard drive was going (which it was, according to Disk Utility), but your is new. Plus, Disk Utility now thinks my iPod is fine. It's all very strange.

Definitely try repairing the disk using Disk Utility. :)

9. TyWahn thread starter macrumors 6502

TyWahn

Well, I have not tried Disk Util. on my HD, but I did try it on my iPod and it thinks it appears to be ok ... strange, no?
    I do take comfort in having everything backed up, but I just hate ripping the plug out, you know?
    Thanks for your replies.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

For the record, this thread somehow gave me the crazy idea of starting the sync process over again for my iPod. It's been playing up a fair bit recently and the songs were never properly synced, so I'm going through the exact same problems again. I get about 600 songs into it before it overheats/crashes. :(

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, so after a lot of crashing iPod/Mac stuff, I decided to do a little experiment. I've had this theory that the iPod just overheats and stops - making it unreadable/unwriteable from the Mac's perspective and crashing iTunes subsequently.

So, I filled a jar lid with ice, placed it on the back of the iPod and started syncing. 36GB later and it didn't crash once!

So, my problems are definitely heat related. TyWahn, your problems may be heat related too, I recommend trying this technique once because as soon as you've got the majority of your music on the thing (assuming you have the same heat dissipation problems), then you should be fine making subsequent (and smaller) syncs. :)

12. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

If that is the problem TyWahn I would return the iPod for the replacement as you said it was a new iPod.

13. Sven071 macrumors newbie

I had the same thing happen to me with my Nano.... I am running Panther 10.3.9. It first started when my Nano wouldn't sync pics. then the problem got worse... I returned it when it started crashing my PB.... Now I have a new Nano.... no problems to report

14. yenko macrumors 6502a

AAAHHAAAAA! The real "First Nano Flaw" Thread has been born! :D :D

15. TyWahn thread starter macrumors 6502

TyWahn

You know, I never even checked to see if it was running hot, but I am sure I was not doing any drive-intensive tasks such as copying my entire library over or photos for that matter. All transfers have been gradual. Abd crashes seemingly random,
    Thanks for the tips, advice! For now I just see if it gets WORSE!!

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'd listen to DeSnousa's good advice. If it's new and it's randomly crashing your Mac, then you should probably take it back/call Apple. :)

17. TyWahn thread starter macrumors 6502

TyWahn

Don't hate me for this ... but I bought it fomr ... BEST BUY!
    What are my options? I did register it the day I brought it home however..

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

We don't have Best Buy in Australia AFAIK so I'm not sure what their policy is, but ringing Apple may get you somewhere.