ipod customer calls from apple?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by SkudShark, Aug 23, 2004.

1. SkudShark macrumors member

SkudShark

this morning I got a call from Apple regarding an Ipod I purchased, but have since sold. Conversation ended abruptly because I told them I didn't have it anymore, but I was wondering what they were callign for in the first place?

Anyone know what apple's up too?

Thought it might be in regards to the battery problems that plagued the ipod line I baught at the time.

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Just DON'T give them your credit card or social security number! :D

3. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

How do you know it was actually Apple that called?

4. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I have received 2 calls from Apple for 2 separate iPod registrations. They say, "how are you liking your iPod." etc. THEN they try to sell you AppleCare for the iPod. Calls like this are legit - the guy knew my serial #s for 2 iPods, my PowerBook 17" and my AppleCare #. I hate getting calls at home from solicitors so I told him no thanks and hung up.

5. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

That's exactly why I didn't give my real phone number when I ordered my PB...or anything online that askes for my phone number for that matter. I make it obvious that it is not a real number (999-9999) but unfortunately, most order forms require that you put something there. If they want to get a hold of me, they can e-mail me.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmmm, yeah, I could understand maybe a marketing survey -- in fact if they called to ask me for advice, I would be more than happy to oblige them. :rolleyes: But I don't care for an Applecare sales pitch.... :mad:

My university's alumni donations campaign was very sneaky about this. They asked me questions about my alumni experience on the phone for like 10 minutes and I thought they were soliciting information until finally it turned out they were soliciting money. I was really annoyed...why don't you just come straight out with it? :(

But then again I haven't been called by Apple.

7. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

The best yet by way of universities begging for cash is when my university asks its seniors to begin donating...The sales pitch starts as graduation approaches, I believe I was told.

This is especially cruel in light of the fact that more than a few people are graduating without jobs lined up these days. It was one thing when everyone was graduating with six-figure employment in his pocket, but these days, not so... :( That's ok, I'll be in school so long that short-term (read: 5-10 year) economic conditions won't make much difference to me.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, mine did that too. They had this whole, would you give $1000? No? How about $500? How about $19.97 to commemorate your year of graduation kinda spiel...

Well, if it makes you feel better, I've just plunked down for a fairly long haul back in school myself.

And I'm in Florida, so NO APPLECARE FOR ME!!! :p

9. aphexist macrumors member

OFFTOPIC

OFFTOPIC: Yes, I too yearn for the salad days when everyone was graduating with a six-figure job out of college.

Tell me, do you know ANYONE without a CEO daddy or prior work experience who landed that kind of salary right out of the gate?

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

With any sort of bachelor's degree? No. When madchemist said 5-10 yrs I wasn't sure what kinda degree he was talking about. With an MBA, yes (and still now), with some kinds of MDs, some kinds of MS/PhD's (esp. certain kinds of engineering, economics, maybe some chem/bio stuff, some kinds of health professions). But with a BS, my experience was that at the height of the bubble it was maybe $50-60k with occasional $65-75k, and mostly lower than that, for engineering BS's. And even with a substantial bonus no more than $80 total annual comp with a BS except in really unusual circumstances.

11. kanker macrumors 6502

FYI, you can edit your preferences on your Apple account/registration so that they won't call you. There is a checkbox asking if you want to be contacted by them, and then they can and will (or won't depending on your pref's) call you about various things, including the common and eerie calls asking you if you're still interested in that 15" PB you were looking at, and what can they do to make that purchase happen.

12. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

13. Spizzo macrumors 6502

I got a call from Apple yesterday regarding my PB. They just wanted to check and see how it was working since it was in for repairs last spring. That, and to sell me apple care.

14. abc123 macrumors 6502

whenever i've ordered from apple online they've called to confirm the order before processing the credit card. i've never received a call i about anything else though.