ipod data retreival

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fallacy, Dec 28, 2006.

1. fallacy macrumors member

Aug 30, 2006
    Hello people

Just wondering if there was an app out there to transfer "files" not just mp3's from my ipod back to my mac?

This is off topic, but I've been having problems understanding how to use iphoto.. I've been dragging files directly into Iphoto and deleting the pic from where i dragged it ( say the desktop). Now I go into iphoto and the pic is gone..

what is the simplest way to use iphoto. I thought it was similar to ITUnes in that you drag in the app and delete it from the destination you just dragged it from..

2. fallacy thread starter macrumors member

Aug 30, 2006
    i should mention that i've put a bunch of movies and pictures on my ipod that i can view very nicely while I'm using it, but accidentally deleted these photo's from my mac so i'd really like them back..

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    You could use Terminal. The hint applies to music but is very similar for other aspects of your iPod. Does Spotlight find your pictures? Are there any photos in the iPhoto Library within the Pictures folder? :)
  4. sturigdson macrumors regular

Apr 3, 2006
    Hey Fallacy-

let me ask you a couple questions:

1) are you SURE the photos are on the ipod? They may not have synced. I just want to make sure that you can view them on the ipod itself.

2) I'd like to know if you had itunes set to load both the ipod version and the full res version of the photo to the ipod. If you don't know how to check this, I've tried to outline it below. The reason I'm asking is because I think we can figure out how to get the photos back if itunes in fact loaded the full res versions; but I'm not sure how to if it was not set up to load the full res versions.

Below are directions to see if itunes has been set up to do this. I don't have my ipod with me at the moment, so this is from memory. Hopefully it gets you close enough to give me some information...

plug your ipod into your computer and bring up itunes. In the window pane on the left of itunes, select your ipod. The pane on the right will be information about your ipod, with a series of tabs near the top of the itunes window.

Select the tab that says "Photos." There will be a number of options there.

Look for the check boxes that say sync photos from iphoto- make sure it is selected, or that some version of it is.

Then, below the pane that lists the iphoto libraries and slideshows, there should be a checkbox that says "Include full resolution photo file when syncing" or something to that effect.

Is this selected??
  5. fallacy thread starter macrumors member

Aug 30, 2006
    syncing with iphoto

Hey Sturigdson,

thx for your input. Before I attempt to check the box that says sync photots from ( drop down box that has iphoto currently selected) I need to ask the obvious. Won't this delete all the photo's that I currently have in my ipod?

Just to make it clear, I accidentally deleted some pics off of my mac but previous to that i had copied them to my ipod. So if sync my ipod with IPhoto I'll be deleting the pics i have on my ipod which is something I don't want to do.

If i'm missing your point please make it again. Although, i seem to think i'm s.o.l. The "include full -resolution photo's" was never selected by the way and the photos are in the ipod now, but to view them in the photo option on the actual ipod. They aren't there when I plug it in and view it as an external drive for example.
  6. Chanabra macrumors member

Dec 19, 2006
    Yeah, just enable disk mode in itunes preferences.
    Then you can drag files in and out of the ipod.
    You can also open the ipod and look at hidden files by...

Open terminal.
    Copy paste this.
    defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
    killall Finder
    You can now see hidden files on your ipod.

To hide the files again
    defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
    killall Finder
    Hope I helped.