iPod data transfer from PC to Mac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by OnTheFenceTim, Mar 14, 2004.

1. OnTheFenceTim macrumors newbie

My wife recently purchased an iPod and she is over the moon with it.
    I have transfered most of her CD collection to the iPod using my Dell laptop, but after seeing a very good deal on a new iBook at a mail order store we have now ordered her one and it should arrive sometime next week.

My question is will the iBook recognise the PC-formatted iPod and all the songs, or will I have to transfer them again?

I only ask because a friends iPod formatted using a Mac was not recognised by my Dell laptop.

Also a second question if I may, any recommendations on a good Mac book for my wife who is a relative computer newbie?

2. .a macrumors regular

... i am also interested in useing the ipod as a harddisk to transfer data (no music data) between pc and mac , besides useing the ipod as the normal musicdevice on my mac.
    is it possible?
    .a

3. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Macs will recognise any FAT-formatted drive that was formatted using Windows. However, Windows does not recognise Mac-formatted drives (CDs and DVDs, etc are fine though). Therefore in your case you will be fine, and this explains why your friend couldn't get the PC to recognise it.

4. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Yes, as long as you format the drive from Windows (see above post)