Ipod Dead, last ditch attempt

Discussion in 'iPod' started by andcraig, Dec 7, 2005.

1. andcraig macrumors regular

May 28, 2005
    My ipod fell out of my locker from a height of about 6 feet.
    It worked until it must've hit a bad part of the disc and then decided it wanted to break, and break it did.

So now i have a very dead ipod, its doing the question mark folder thing.
    I hook it up to my powerbook and it can be seen by disk utility, but ipod updater can't do anything with it and crashes when it tries.

Its like..one week out of warranty (of course).

Does anyone have suggestions on how to fix it?

if not..well..i suppose it means i'll just need to spring for a new ipod
  2. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

Jun 29, 2004
    Think on the bright side...

Now you have a classy doorstop.
  3. amacgenius macrumors 68000

Aug 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I'd be interested in the iPod if you want to sell/get rid of it.
  4. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

Jun 15, 2005
    Well its going to cost more than half its original price to fix now that its out of warranty. You might find that it may start to show a dead iPod symbol soon. :(
  5. Cinch macrumors 6502

Sep 18, 2005
    I had a similar experience

I drop my 20GB 4G iPod on several occasion hard in the gym, and at first it would skip the section of disk that was damaged. However, after a few weeks it would come on and it gave me the sad Apple user face and tell me to contact Apple. Warranty just expired too. I didn't attempt to fix it, instead brought a Nano. Last week, out of curiousity, I pried open the iPod and examined its internal content. I then close it, and wholla it works again! The damaged part of the disk remains damage, oh well. It is partly functional.

I hardly use it now, because i think it is bulky. I may try do a clean "reboot" and reimport the music library. I hope the software will recognize the damage section of the disk and avoid writing to it.

Lesson learn? Never buy a harddisk iPod again, because of the above reason and for me it is physically too big.

Now, an iPod Nano with wi-fi built in that won't eat battery life would be definitely be a third iPod for me! Personally, I like to listen to internet radio!
  6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

Dec 27, 2003
    Portland, OR

What world are you living in?