iPod Dead!!!! Laugh or Cry?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by James.Paul, Mar 22, 2004.

1. James.Paul macrumors regular

May 19, 2002
    Northallerton, England
    It's been a bad week, we dropped an iron on the new carpet, leaving a huge melted iron mark, my girlfriend of 4 1/2 years and me split up, and then worst of all i was hill walking on the Yorkshire Moors and i slipped in some mud and fell into puddle of water, unluckily my 30gig iPod was on the side that fell into the water. After rescuing it, it played for a while then there was some cracking sound from the earpiece, some skipping and then it lost all power!!!! After leaving it for a couple of days figuring it was knackered anyway i tried to charge but it refuses. Luckily, it is covered by my home insurance policy and they are sorting that out now. What i am trying to find out is what condition the iPod will be on the inside. When i do a force restart it comes up with a exclamation mark inside a triangle and a sort of status bar. What sort of error is that displaying. Would water have fried everything or would it just be limited to just a battery fault! Anyone else done anything like this? I'm hoping that the insurance company will let me get a new one and (if rumors are true) Apple might just bring a new range out soon.
  2. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    If you hadn't tried using it immediately and let it dry out, then it might have worked again - tho not convinced muddy water would have been too good. Using it while there was still water around has likely shorted it out.

I'd suggest 'laugh' - you get a new iPod, you're covered with insurance so chances are you'll end up with a nice 40GB one. Now it's just the new girlfriend I guess!
  3. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

May 24, 2003
    Phoenix AZ USA
    Repairs needed!

1. Carpet repair is easy for a pro, who will fix it up like new.
    2. The "wet iPod" problem should have been addressed immediately, machines do not fix themselves...yet. Only a qualified Apple Repair Tech can tell you the extent of damage to the components INSIDE by actually OPENING it and looking, then testing! No one else is in a position to do that, especially on the net.
    3. The "worst" problem is the loss of time and emotions invested in a 4.50 year relationship, not a £450 anything. Apple techs can't repair that. A good repair manual is "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" by John Gray. It's in paperback, cheap, and has salvaged a lot of male/female relationships. If not for "repair", it is a good maintenance manual for the future.

Attached Files:

4. Appleuser4life macrumors newbie

May 21, 2004

i dropped my ipod in water , not very long and not even half way up, yet i am concerned with water damage to the dock connector. it was still working but i turned it off. any suggestions? should i blow dry it ? let it sit?
  5. James.Paul thread starter macrumors regular

May 19, 2002
    Northallerton, England
    let it sit for a few days if not a couple of weeks. Don't try and charge it up. Not sure about blowing dry but maybe the heat would affect components. The one i ruined did come back on after a few weeks but there is some skipping during playback. It may crap out during a song and then it may go from playing song one on a playlist, miss out 2,3,4 and go onto 5. I think that's the damage i caused by charging it up too soon.

Good Luck
  6. wide macrumors 6502a

May 17, 2004

If you bought it under one year ago, your AppleCare is still in effect. This means that Apple will replace or fix it for free. Go to your local Apple Store and ask them to fix it, and they probably will. A better thing to do would be to mail the iPod to an Apple repair site (look on the Apple site for the address of the nearest site) and that way you won't have to tell (or lie, preferably) to an Apple technician or representative about how your iPod broke. I don't think Apple covers accidental damage. Good luck!