Ipod - Do I need extra gigabytes?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by igmolinav, Aug 19, 2005.

1. igmolinav macrumors 65816

I´ve never had an MP3 player and the ipod promotion is offering the value of a 4 GB Ipod Mini.

I wonder if that is more or less good enough for the long run, or should I be getting more gigabytes with a 6 GB Ipod Mini, or perhaps any of the 20GB or 30GB ipods.

Your opinion is greatly appreciated (even if you don´t own an ipod), specially if you tell me why go for a larger or smaller ipod size.

Thank you,

Igmolinav : ) !!!

2. barrettd macrumors regular

I've got a 40GB iPod that I bought a few years ago. Since I had that much room, I went ahead and ripped all of my CDs (200+) onto it. After that, I had about 20GB free. Realistically, I could have gotten by with a smaller size, but I also bought this before the mini was released. If I were to get a mini and it were to be my only iPod, I would probably opt for the 6GB if I could afford it. I probably only listen to about 6GB worth of music on a regular basis anyway. On the other hand, it is very nice to have a party and not have to worry about swapping CDs. Any song on any album I have is only seconds away, so it really has been worth it for stuff like that.

I'm not familiar with the details of your promotion. It sounds like you're getting $199 towards the purchase of an iPod? I'd probably opt for the 20GB iPod. It also depends on the qualities you want in an iPod. Size and style would be the only reasons I'd see to get a mini, since the 6GB is only $50 less than the 20GB, but it is much smaller in physical size.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Depends on whether you want to carry your entire music collection with you all the time or... whether you're happy swapping tracks/albums/playlists around regularly which can be a little time-consuming.

Could be worth downloading iTunes first (it's free) and seeing the size of your entire music library and making an estimate of how much you expect it to grow over the next 1-3 years.

I think it's wise to factor in some spare capacity -- beforehand, I never would have thought how much having an iPod actually stimulates your desire to buy/acquire and listen to more and more new music.

I have a 40gb iPod and already I have too much to fit on it. Every time I buy and rip a new CD, something has to be bumped off from it to make way for the new stuff. Although awkward, it's kind of easy to choose at the mo but as time goes on, it'll get harder to select which songs stay and which ones go...

The (mythical) 80gb iPod will be my next purchase.

4. garotemonkey macrumors newbie

There's always higher quality rips

As the capacity of my iPod of choice has increased, I've begun ripping my CDs at ever-increasing bit rates. Finally I've started ripping things in 'lossless' format, so I don't have to concern myself with any loss of quality at ALL (and yes, I can tell the difference, even between 256kbps and lossless).

So if you're looking for an excuse to upgrade, there's one right there :)

5. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I have a 20GB iPod and I think it is too small. However, it depends on how much music you have and plan to get in the future. Do you want to listen to podcasts or audiobooks?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Like anything hard drive based, get as much as you can afford because it will always get filled eventually.

I'm with Blue Velvet on this one, where's that elusive 80GB iPod? :p

7. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I have a 25GB music collection on my 60GB iPod, along with 2GB photos and about 10GB of data files (including a Tiger install we used to upgrade a few non-DVD Macs at work - very convenient). Think of it also as a portable hdd, at least until you get to the point of needing all the space just for your tunes.
    I hope that, by the time this one dies, they have a 120GB iPod out there.

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Depends how long your run is.... ;)

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Nuk nuk nuk. :D

10. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I have an iPod 30GB and ... WILL NEVER fill it up for my life!

If you listen to TONS of music, eh, get the higher end model. Isn't it 60GB?

If you don't listen to THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of songs, just get the 20GB and you'll be happy! :)

Hope that helps! :)

11. Lopez.T.H. macrumors regular

I have a 1GB iPod Shuffle. I have over 6GB of music but only listen to what I have on my iPod. A 6GB would be ideal but a 4GB would be good enough.... Or a Shuffle. But with my shuffle I nearly spent $200. With a Case and the iPod.

12. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you very much / one more question please : ) !!!

Thank you very much for all your advise. I would like to ask you two additional questions:

1) How long does an ipod live. Should I expect it to live two to three years, even four (sure, i mean with regular care and if not stolen or damaged) ???

2) Is it ok in this forum to ask for your opinion about a non ipod mp3 player:
    I was thinking to write a new thread: "The Alien that is killing my ipod intentions".

Thank you very much again,

Ignacio Molina.
    igmolinav

13. hyperpasta macrumors 6502a

hyperpasta

Go 20GB

In this case, I would go ahead and get the 20GB no matter what because it has a color screen. I was suprsied when I got mine, but the screen makes using an iPod MUCH more enjoyable, photos or no photos.

14. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

Answer yourself these questions, and you should be able to make your own decision. :cool:

How much music do you have?
    Do you want/need to cary all your music with you?
    What rate do you encode or download your music?
    Do you plan on using it as an external HD?
    Do you want to carry around a big ipod or mini?
    White or color ipod?
    Color screen or monochrome?

15. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

If you listen to it for about 8 hours a week (without EQ, at 128kbit AAC, running a playlist, no backlight), your iPod should last 12 - 18 months.

16. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

Where are you getting this information from? Is this just battery life your talking about? :confused:

17. azrussell132 macrumors member

azrussell132

Depends on the size of your CD collection and the amount of music you may or may not intend to buy from iTunes. I had a 20 gig Samsung and thought that would be enough even though my mp3 collection was 47 gigs. YES it's all legal. It has taken me 15 years of buying cd's to amass 47 gigs worth. I quickly found out that my original idea of having ONLY the stuff I listened to regulary available to me on the Samsung was bad idea. I use my mp3 player primarily is 2 places....1) hard wired to my Alpine deck in my truck 2) at work connected to computer speakers. I've found out that being limited to only half of my music collection SUCKS. I've upgraded to the 60 gig iPod and that will serve me well for the next ten years or so AND allow me to carry my ENTIRE music collection with me everywhere. If money is an issue buy the biggest that you can afford.