iPod Dock is worthless?!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Skrilla™, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Skrilla™ macrumors regular

I have 2 of these, one at home and one at work.

I use Pod Player at work and sync my stuff up at home.

The Dock hardware has to be one of the most useless purchases I have ever made. The only purpose is to hold the iPod upright instead of flat on the desk. I guess I was stupid to assume something else would display on the screen (other than 'Do not disconnect.' and a flashing circle with a line through it).

Am I missing something?

On another note, the place I bought these from is very suspicious (Pricegrabber merchant who also has a website). I got them both shipped to me for under $30 total. One was brand new in box, the other looked like it literally fell off a truck (was used, with plenty of wear and tear). Both are genuine Apple iPod Docks and were advertised as new. I fought with him a little over the used one, he offered to replace it with a new one, but I figured it was a waste of time to return it.

2. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

Guess it helps your desk look better without cables all laying about.

Universal Dock is a bit better with the s-video out it has and can be used with a wireless remote

3. Skrilla™ thread starter macrumors regular

hm, I may take the used one and put it in my garage. I have a stereo in there that I use more often than I sync with my PC (I just noticed the line out on it) :eek:

4. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4

i thought the same thing before i got a dock. but i use it all the time

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I use it for the line-out feature. That way when I connect my iPod to my stereo at home I don't have to crank the volume all the way up on the iPod only to have my ears bleed the next time I use the iPod with headphones because I forgot/didn't have a chance to turn the volume back down.

6. JDN macrumors 6502a

I don't mean to sound like im highjacking this thread, but a question just popped into my mind.

What is the quality like using the line out and iPod dock? Assuming music is at either 320Kbs or loss less, and the stereo is using decent components.

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

You just need to think outside of the box.

1) Docks don't need to be connected to computers. You can connect them to wall chargers.
    2) If you unmount/eject an iPod connected to your mac, it will continue to charge but allow you to play/use it as normal.

8. fuubuu macrumors newbie

I use my dock everyday and I like having it sitting on my desk so I don't think its worthless, but if you don't sync your iPod that often, then it is a waste of money, get a decent pair of earbuds instead.

9. Skrilla™ thread starter macrumors regular

The setup in my garage is nicer than some people's homes, but anyway, it sounds really good. No complaints here. I bet most people couldn't tell the difference between that and a CD, I can't.

I use the speakers on my Dell LCD at work, I don't want to use earphones.