Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
In the last couple weeks I've been having iPod problems. In that same time I installed the first 10.2.8, then back to 10.2.6, then to the new 10.2.8. My iPod always acts screwey now when I connect it to the dock. Here's the typical scenario: Mac is running nicely and I connect the iPod. iPod says "do not disconnect" but it doesn't mount. iTunes crashes. Sometimes everything running crashes. I pull the iPod off the dock and get a message saying that I didn't properly eject the device I just removed, or a message saying there are no readable volumes on the disk. Here's the fun part--when I connect the cable straight to the iPod I don't have any problems. So it seems to be a problem with the dock, right? I haven't heard of this before. Anybody know about it or have any ideas?

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-Horrortaxi

I don't have an iPod yet, but I'd like to help anyway.

Have you checked for bent pins in the dock - yes it does sound like a dock problem.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Nothing appears bent and there doesn't seem to be any junk/extra stuff in there. The only thing even a little odd looking is the middle 2 pins on the cable end of the dock. I can't even explain it well. They just stand out visually from the rest.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
I just looked again and the 2 pins on the left right and center all have this odd way of getting my attention--spacing or something. Anyway they match the pins in the iPod so that blows that theory.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-Horrortaxi

Apologies in advance, I'm a little drunk after watching the Cubs lose the NLCS.

Do you have your iPod set to mount as a hard drive on docking?

Just a thought.

The iPod mounts upon docking regardless, but if it is the default config - it only mounts for a moment.

Try cycling the mounting as hard drive option and see if that 'clears its mind'.

PS - I can see why this thing is the high-seller. Great organization of controls and fit-and-finish.

Porshuh944turbo

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2003
here's what I did...

create a second user (don't install any apps). log in to the second user and try your dock ipod problem.. see if you can recreate it there.

if not, go back to the first user and try again..

in my case, the problems vanished after this procedure.

bidge

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New Zealand
You could also try doing a 'clean install' using the updater to wipe the ipod and puit the software back on. That's always fixed any minor problems for me...

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
I've restored the iPod a couple times. Once I got a good fright because the iPod got lost while updating and gave me the folder/exclamation mark thing. When I bypassed the dock I was able to fix that.

Trying to use the iPod as a 2nd user is a good idea. I'll try that next time it acts up.

iPod is not set up for disk mode. I like the "mount then disappear" action. I've been thinking about using the Notes feature though, so I'd have to enable disk use anyway. Worth a try.

Just for fun I connected the iPod to the dock last night and it behaved. So now we're looking at an intermittant problem. I hate that.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Originally posted by Horrortaxi
It now appears to be very well behaved when connected to the dock. In the last 2 days I can't even get it to misbehave.

-Horrortaxi

What is it about Apple products that they seem to heal themselves?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.